Discuss Service head query in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Service head query {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Attached is a picture of the service head at our house. Is this a type that the DNO should replace for free upon notification?

It looks very old, and may have a fused neutral line, I can't quite see through the sight glass to see whether this is the case. The conductors going to the meter look like they have some sort of fabric covering and look very thin compared to the modern meter tails.

The CU is a Wylex rewireable fuse unit that I'd like to get upgraded; one advantage of this head is that it appears to have a built-in isolator (lever on the top rhs), but I think it needs to go.

Thanks in advance.

Tony (Householder)

One Tony to another,

Get in touch with you’re supplier tomorrow.
That service head is a thing of beauty, but should be in a museum.

It should be replaced ASAP!

Ask if you can keep the head, cleaned up it would be a conversation piece.

The DNO boys will enjoy seeing this one, for sure :)

Should I be charging them to come and look at? I can get some tickets printed, perhaps get a caterer in...

I definitely like the idea of restoring it, as a conversation piece.

I thought the DNOs were under some obligation to have completed a replacement programme for a certain type of service head by a certain date. Can anyone point me to anything official that refers to this requirement if it is correct?

Thanks all

They are under obligation to change the head. Especially any with a fused neutral.

BTW that’s a DC service head. How old is you’re house?

Serve tea and cakes you could be on to a winner.

The house is Victorian. There are still some long sections of wooden conduit in the cellar containing one red and one black VIR cable. A separate earth cable of tiny cross section is also present. All the old cables are disconnected. This seems to have been done when the house was rewired with PVC cables.

It's an ask.

Could you post up some pictures of the wooden capping and casing?

I’m interested in anything that’s electrical and old.

As an industry we don’t have a long history when compared to the other trades.

Much as we despise plumbers and fitters, we are the new boys in town.

It's an ask.

Could you post up some pictures of the wooden capping and casing?

As an industry we don’t have a long history when compared to the other trades.

Much as we despise plumbers and fitters, we are the new boys in town.
so they can just move aside....cant they...

If you send me £5 I will post you some pics of me.... I fall into that category... :)

Yea contact the DNO not the supplier. Should be free of charge. I wouldn't be using the isolator on the side, probably break in the off position.

From that statement, you’ve never come across old switchgear.

It would out last any modern isolator.

Absolutely Tony. When I worked for HP foods about 16 years ago, we had machinery with original switchgear from the 50's early 60's. Stuff was built like a tank, and nobody cared that it was twice the size of the modern stuff.

Thanks for posting the pic! That's a nice thing, please do try to make sure it doesn't get scrapped or broken up during replacement. When it was installed, if the service was DC the meter would have looked more like one of these: Electrokinetica - Factory: Intake room

FWIW if you eventually decide you don't want it rattling around the house once it has been replaced, we would certainly be interested in giving it a home at Electrokinetica where we are starting to build displays of early wiring systems. I need to find complete sets of equipment from each decade - easier said than done these days.

Cheers
Lucien

PS my first post on the forum!

Thanks for posting the pic! That's a nice thing, please do try to make sure it doesn't get scrapped or broken up during replacement. When it was installed, if the service was DC the meter would have looked more like one of these: Electrokinetica - Factory: Intake room

FWIW if you eventually decide you don't want it rattling around the house once it has been replaced, we would certainly be interested in giving it a home at Electrokinetica where we are starting to build displays of early wiring systems. I need to find complete sets of equipment from each decade - easier said than done these days.

Cheers
Lucien

PS my first post on the forum!

Welcome along Lucien,

Are you a collector / museum?

Reply to Service head query in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock