Discuss Service point in out building in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi there.
My friend is building a new house. He has decided to put service point in and out building next to new house. A duct has been run from out building to house. I will be using 16mm three core to supply house db. I've decided to use rcbo's for circuits in the house. But I am unsure if the cable at the out building side should be rcd after the cut off to supply the house? Any advice would be appreciated.

Two things:

1) Check your calculations for voltage drop for the lighting - you might need to upgrade that 16mm to a 25mm depending on length of run
2) It would probably pay you to bring the incomer into a metal-clad consumer unit anyway as that way you have something to make your armoured off to and also can run some ancillary sockets and lights in the outhouse more easily.

No, you don't need to provide upstream RCD protection to the cable, but personally I would install it onto a DP MCB rather than a single.

1 and 1/2 storeys? must be DIY as he's already demolished half the upstairs. :drool5:

It's taken me fifty years of saving to get out of the shoe box in the middle of the road. :D

MP: Shoe box?
TG: Aye.
MP: You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, out Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!
GC: Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!

Reply to Service point in out building in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock