Discuss servicing storage heaters in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sparkyork

got 2 flats to do 2moro with 8 storage heaters between them. ive messed with these in the past but other than cleaning the dust out and checking for continuity on the elements etc, what else can you do with these??

wanna print a A4 checksheet off so it looks a bit professional for the customer!!

what sort of readings should you get from an element etc, any comments appreciated

Storage heaters shouldn't be used to dry clothes on. They have a thermal cutout which needs to replaced and not reset. If they dont have enough air flow around them. This is on the older models. Thats about all i can tell you Sparkyork

Mark

I've got a rewire coming up with two storage heaters in the house, it has a seperate CU for the heaters on a economy 7 meter. Now I want to keep everything on one CU as ive already bought one and dont want to buy another so my question is would it be ok for me to use one of them timed socket outlets instead of the economy 7 meter.
My plan was to wire a socket next to the storage heaters and plug them into a timed socket outlet and set the time to off peak hours.

its possible to do that but i never have, i would use a combined consumer with 2 rcdS as per 17th for 24hr stuff, and another 100ma rcd for heaters (but not sure now whether a 100ma would comply with 17th) anyone got any ideas ? dave

Hi when cleaning storage heaters out first check how old they are they may contain asbestos?
You can’t put the E7 on a socket with a timer on most E7 supplies, as most E7 supplies are trigger feed. two supplies one board big no no.
For E10 you can, as the whole supply is on peak and off peak.

The RCD issue must go on 30mA unless surface installation…
Hope this helps

just read your post again, your quote "use one of them timed socket outlets instead of the economy 7 meter from the same board/supply" to feed the storage heater? have i quoted you correctly??? Hence my earlier reply.

Well ive just read my post again and you have quoted me wrong. What I meant was getting rid of the E7 completly and wiring 2 radials to both storage heaters and wiring the flex of the storage heater to some sort of unit with a timer on it. You can get fused spurs with digital timers on, just wondering if you could do it?

oh ok. forget the quote, un quote, "quote"

the leccy board did not like you taking the e7 supplies of the main board, but they dont mind e10 so not sure of there stance now. if your going to do it that way you should calculate the earth leakage when using split boards.

Hi Rich.

I do loads of these damm things. Clean them, i use a vacuum cleaner, make sure the vents are clear and then unwire it from the wall and PAT test it. You wont be able to load it but you can do a earth bond test and a insulation resistance test as well as a leakage test.

Hope that helps.

Hi GAZHUDDS.

What is the rating of your heaters? All all night storage heaters are on there own feed from the time clock or meter. Why don't you buy a split load board with a couple of unprotected ways and fit RCBO's. You can get a small 4 way CU with RCD for £45.00 for the storage heaters. Just a few options.

cheers mr doc, i dropped the covers off and hoovered them out, had a peak at the elements just for visual condition, then i just did r1+r2 on the cabling supplying it. i dont have a pat tester yet. without buying a pet tester is the more you can do with a multifunction tester? also on this occassion the heaters were near enough brand new in condition, but ive been to some in the past that are pretty grim!

Pardon my ignorance how do you do a leakage test? a load test is the easy one calculate KW and but your clamp meter on the feed. some elements pass the insulation test but not the load test, load test is a good one for peace of mind.

Pardon my ignorance how do you do a leakage test? a load test is the easy one calculate KW and but your clamp meter on the feed. some elements pass the insulation test but not the load test, load test is a good one for peace of mind.

I use a Megger PAT4 which automatically measures the leakage during the load test.

Trying to get a clamp meter around the line wire can be almost impossible in most of the modern heaters as the terminals are usually in a enclosure and without stripping more insulation of the wall end of the cable you are going to have problems.

You are going to be limited with just a multi meter Rich but a Multi function tester can do the insulation and resistance tests.

Cheers Spark-doctor

I'm just gonna buy the seperate CU for the storage heaters, I was just wondering if you could bypass the E7 if you wanted.

Cheers Spark-doctor

I'm just gonna buy the seperate CU for the storage heaters, I was just wondering if you could bypass the E7 if you wanted.

Gazhudds why would you want to bypass the E7, what feeds the E7 is it tail feed from the meter or a trigger wire from the meter?. if you did want to bypass the E7, just supply it from your main board, but you will need a timer. and you may pay full price electricity...

Reply to servicing storage heaters in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock