Discuss Servicing Storage Heaters in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

petegibbons

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I have got price up for a contract that will involve servicing storage heaters.

Has anyone any idea what would be a charge for this, the work will involve £500k + work per annum for 3 years, so obviously must be very competitive.

There will be lots of other works including renewing heaters etc but for the servicing section on the tender document I am just after an idea of what others would charge.

I must have this in quite soon so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scolmore Electrical Products
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
W

wattsup

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't know how to service a storage heater? check lead fuse? Check burning on connection?
If an element is burned out big ****e, take bricks out, re-thread new element, choke on fibre glass...I would turn the contract down unless you can get some small print in there.

If just changing a stat, you would need a supplier if the heaters are oldish you will have trouble sourcing the parts...walk away unless you can get £per hour

P

petegibbons

I don't know how to service a storage heater? check lead fuse? Check burning on connection?
If an element is burned out big ****e, take bricks out, re-thread new element, choke on fibre glass...I would turn the contract down unless you can get some small print in there.

If just changing a stat, you would need a supplier if the heaters are oldish you will have trouble sourcing the parts...walk away unless you can get £per hour
There is a large schedule to go with this but the servicing will just involve identifying problems.

Does anyone have a copy of the NHF schedule of rates and be able to tell me what price they give in there for 'servicing a storage heater' ???

W

wet string

surely serviceing means taking the cover off and inspecting / testing for problems,say 1hr, any remedial work required would be on top...parts plus labour as usual......:cool: sounds a doddle to me as long as you have a source for parts, if none available heater would need replacement!doddle allow 1 hr per but make it clear about repairs and replacement.

P

petegibbons

surely serviceing means taking the cover off and inspecting / testing for problems,say 1hr, any remedial work required would be on top...parts plus labour as usual......:cool: sounds a doddle to me as long as you have a source for parts, if none available heater would need replacement!doddle allow 1 hr per but make it clear about repairs and replacement.

Thanks mate, that was absically what I have done.

Thanks mate, that was absically what I have done.
you might have to give an inclusive quote.
I have done a bit of servicing on these over the years and I would break it down as this:70% all you have to do is take the cover off and push the reset button,5minute job gift on to the next one.20% are elements,very easy to test,carry spares,you will probably only have to carry a few types,again a half hour job,5% are burnt out spurs which have been used instead of 20DP-this sometimes requires replacing the heat resistant flex,so again have some spares.The stat,rarely goes faulty,so I would wait till you get a faulty one.The other 5% is ones that have come away from the wall-These can be the most time consuming ones to fix,to stud walls
or crumbling masonry,requireing a full rebuild,allow at least an hour.Then you might also have to fit rcd on board .The main problem with storage heaters is they are too hot to work on,and take a couple of DAYS sometimes to cool down.Also getting access to peoples houses,especially council houses,can be a problem.
Hopefully this will give you an idea for your quote.

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers

Reply to Servicing Storage Heaters in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
Top Bottom