Discuss Settle an argument please! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was hoping someone could settle an argument for me - my housemate keeps coming in my room to turn off my iPhone charger at the wall insisting it’s costing us ‘£10 a month’. She does it when I’m out so the phone isn’t charging, it’s just on at the wall.

Is this £10 a month true? Everywhere I look seems to suggest it a few pence. How much is it realisticly?

She also leaves everything else switched on at the wall (kettle, TV, hair dryer, toaster) saying that because it’s not on it’s not wasting money. Is there any difference between these appliances and my phone charger?

Any help would be great!

A kettle (and hairdryer, etc.) will take no power when it is not in use, as the power to the element is fully switched off, and it has no electronic circuitry which could draw a small amount of current even in the off position. Note, an exception to this are wi-fi kettles, but surely nobody has bought one?

Electronic equipment such as chargers will take a small amount of electricity even when no phone is connected. I don't know how much this would cost a month, but it certainly won't be £10.

What I would say though is this: Never leave a phone charger (or any charger) switched on when it is not in use. The quality and safety of these chargers is not always good and they can be a fire risk.

I would also never leave a phone charger switched on overnight.

Hope this helps.

Phone chargers can fail (rarely) but the cost is negligible in the electrikery they use when no current is drawn.

On another matter though you need assertiveness lessons and tell her that next time she just waltzes in to your room turning stuff off that you'll break her legs, oh and is she fit as some of the elder members on here need some excitement in their lives so chop chop post the photos up.

An easy check as to whether an appliance is using power is to feel it. If you can't detect any warmth, then it won't be using any significant amount of power. Remember that it will take a while to cool down after use.

A modern phone charger will be taking less than 1 watt when plugged in but not in use. Cost will be around £1 a year on standby.

It's the replacement chargers bought on eBay that are the most likely to be dangerous. The ones supplied with the phone are usually good quality.

Are you sure this is your house mate and not your Parent?... surely sounds like a grumpy old bugger, feel free to show them this post and to tell them to try start chilling out a little and checking facts before going all out on you. :eek:

When my son was in digs in Country they had a 10 or 12 slice toaster that would do a loaf of bread in one go, god knows how much power that drew.

i thought my breakfast was missing something.

006.jpg

Get hair dryer on a switched socket / un-plugged ... If it ever fell-damaged / or dropped and got knocked on ....
( Scented candles -get rightup my nose)

Or just put a chair,next to the dryer vent,and have a meeting regarding scheduling ;)

Reply to Settle an argument please! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net