Discuss Sharing Switches? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SlashProm

DIY
Reaction score
Hi guys. New to the forum and was hoping to get some advice from people who know what they are doing.

Is it ok to share switches for other systems. For example: I want to tap in to the headlight switch on my car so when I turn on my headlights it also activates another system. I would also like to tap in to my high-beam control wire so when I activate my high-beam it also activates another system. Is this likely to cause any problems? My understanding is it is just a signal wire, but I'm unsure as to how many systems/demand you can put through a single switch. Thank you in advance.

Hi guys. New to the forum and was hoping to get some advice from people who know what they are doing.

Is it ok to share switches for other systems. For example: I want to tap in to the headlight switch on my car so when I turn on my headlights it also activates another system. I would also like to tap in to my high-beam control wire so when I activate my high-beam it also activates another system. Is this likely to cause any problems? My understanding is it is just a signal wire, but I'm unsure as to how many systems/demand you can put through a single switch. Thank you in advance.

Yep, easy to do with a relay

Yep, easy to do with a relay
Thank you for the fast reply. Basically my car has separate H7 headlight and H1 high beam bulbs.

I plan to install a projector with a Bi-Xenon into the headlight unit, and it uses the signal wire from the high-beam unit to activate the flap inside the Bi-Xenon projector to engage the high-beams. But rather than leave a hole where the old H1 bulb used to be, I'd like to also have that bulb working as well. Am I right in thinking I can do this without any extra modification?

Sorry. I am a total noob at this. Usually the motor is powered off the old high beam circuit as it's no longer needed when running a bi-xenon. But I would like to keep that circuit. So would my best bet be to make up a new circuit with a relay and fuse to power the motor, and just have it tapped in to the high beam switch on the stork, so that way I don't have to modify the old high beam circuit?

basically, you don't want to overload the existing wiring, so you use the "signal" to energise a relay ( low current required) and power the auxilliary equipment through the relay contacts (via a suitably rated fuse).

After doing a bit of research it looks as though they are just tapping into the 12v "signal" wire from the h1 system to trigger the h7 bi-xenon motor, and not actually putting any real draw on it. After talking to one of my friends who knows quite a bit about car electrics, he said it should be fine to still run the H1's as normal.

He said to me that a corroded connection would draw more power than what it is being used for.

Hi,what is the vehicle? If it is a true signal wire,such as CanBus,at the switch gear,you could cause all sorts of issues.
Using a cable which connects to the original lamp,you could switch a relay,or if of sufficient capacity,power your new component.

Reply to Sharing Switches? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net