Discuss shaver socket and wall light in bathroom. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

klunk

Hi,

I'll shortly be installing a 12v shaver socket and wall light in my bathroom. Possibly a combined backlit mirror/shaver socket.

It's as easy for me to take a spur off an adjacent ring main, as it is to use the lighting circuit.

So, I wonder which is preferable. (Q1)

If I take it off the lighting circuit, I'd rather have an isolation switch, as I don't like the idea of permanently warm transformers. Is this advisable? (Q2)

The heating and supply pipes are already bonded, presumably from the lighting circuit. If I make an earth bond from the socket/light to the nearest copper pipe, is this sufficient? (Q3)

There should be a pic of my cu, with this post.

Thanks in advance.

Oh. And is it a special location, and do I need to inform building control? (Q4)

Attachments

• shaver socket and wall light in bathroom. P1000114 - EletriciansForums.net
    P1000114.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 129
This is notifiable work so it would be cheaper to get a few quotes from sparkies in the local area than paying BC to come out and inspect.

Also this way the circuits will be tested to ensure they're suitable for any addition to be put on.

never understood the point of a shaver socket in a bathroom.

this does for me.

shaver socket and wall light in bathroom. {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Hi,

I'll shortly be installing a 12v shaver socket and wall light in my bathroom. Possibly a combined backlit mirror/shaver socket.

It's as easy for me to take a spur off an adjacent ring main, as it is to use the lighting circuit.

So, I wonder which is preferable. (Q1)

If I take it off the lighting circuit, I'd rather have an isolation switch, as I don't like the idea of permanently warm transformers. Is this advisable? (Q2)

The heating and supply pipes are already bonded, presumably from the lighting circuit. If I make an earth bond from the socket/light to the nearest copper pipe, is this sufficient? (Q3)

Oh. And is it a special location, and do I need to inform building control? (Q4)

Why would you want a 12V shaver socket? Shaver sockets with a transformer use it for isolation, not changing the voltage (unless it offers a 110V outlet as well as 230V).

I think that some/all shaver sockets use the insertion of the shaver plug to switch on the supply to the transformer, so your proposed switch would be unnecessary.

Since it's in a bathroom, this needs to be RCD protected. You could either take your supply from the RCD protected socket circuit and fuse it down, or take it from the lighting circuit and make provision for RCD protection.

Either way, it'll probably be most cost-effective and safest to employ an electrician who can notify this job.

Unless various conditions are met, including RCD protection of all circuits to the bathroom, you will need to ensure that all the bathroom circuits and metallic pipework entering the room are locally bonded.

Love the circuit identification of Plugs on the CU.

Far to many basic questions being asked again and it sounds like another 'i'm not interested in Part P and those who are, are the idiots' thread to me so no more comments/advise from me.

good point, micknew, but "no, don't do that", is more helpful.
i want to work out the job, even if i employ a professional.

Reply to shaver socket and wall light in bathroom. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock