Discuss Shaver socket for laptop? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Guys, I could do with some advice on this as it's not something I've come up against before.

I've just had a call from an American chap who's asking me to price to install a 230/120v shaver socket in his sitting room so that he can use it to plug in his laptop.

My only experience of installing shaver sockets is in bathrooms where I spur them from the existing lighting circuit.

I know they can be used for other things: charging toothbrushes, etc. But Laptops?

I haven't seen the job yet, so I've no idea if it's RCD protected or not - and I guess that shouldn't matter anyway as the transformer is electrically separated. Also, if it's in his sitting room / bedroom, i'm thinking it might be easier to spur from a local socket, in which case should I also install an FCU and step down to a 2amp cartridge fuse? Is there an alternative to a bathroom style, vertical unit which, in any case, is normally marked 'Shaver only'.

Thanks in advance.

sell the yank a £1.99 adaptor, unless he needs the 120V.

Aurora do a single gang dual voltage shaver socket (90 degree rotated) that sticks out a bit but would probably look better than a double one.
Still marked shavers only.

Would using a shaver socket with 'shavers only' emblazoned on the front of it to power a laptop in a living room be complying with manufacturer's instructions?

Would using a shaver socket with 'shavers only' emblazoned on the front of it to power a laptop in a living room be complying with manufacturer's instructions?

hmmm... good point

you can see on the link i posted above just how big the tranny needs to be just to power 200watts ! seems the shaver socket wouldn't be man enough

Cheers Richard / Shocking

I'll see if he has any other equipment he might want to use and might then suggest the transformer. If he wants me to go ahead with the shaver socket (for aesthetic purposes - he did seem quite insistent, maybe he wants it nice n'tidy by his workstation) then should I step down through an FSU, even if the output is through a segregated transformer? From memory, I don't think American plugs are fused.

don't forget US is on 60Hz too

Don't honestly know if that would make too much difference short term, but long term?

true !

some stuff works fine on 50Hz but some electrical components don't like it at all :S

trust the americans to be different LOL

i still cant get over how the hell they can survive with only 120v !! there lighting circuits must be wired in 2.5mm ? lol

By the time he's screwed around and paid for the work he could have picked up a universal laptop power supply for under £30.

Reply to Shaver socket for laptop? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net