Discuss shaver socket outlets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
we just nearly finished kitchen rewire for guy and he asking all sorts of other we jobs, done.

my question is this we only rewired kitchen and fitted new board with 30mA rcds. he is now asking about shaver sockets in two bathrooms... would these need to be rcd protected or could i just come off the lights..??
as these are selv

was only kitchen lighting we done but yes thers plenty of spare was n both sides of dual board.... so would you run two new cables from 1 mcb to two bathrooms.. hes on about a complete board change soon, but just not today...

aye of course need rcd protecting, sorry, as cable maybe surface most of the way but as you drop it down cavity it probably wont be

Last edited:
well ok back of stud... i believe its a timber frame house with a block wall on th facade

we just nearly finished kitchen rewire for guy and he asking all sorts of other we jobs, done.

my question is this we only rewired kitchen and fitted new board with 30mA rcds. he is now asking about shaver sockets in two bathrooms... would these need to be rcd protected or could i just come off the lights..??
as these are selv
Standard shaver sockets are not SELV (the clue is Separated ELV), they are actually electrical separated LV, similar, but the regulations governing their uses are different due to the differing voltage bands in which each operates.
When installing the shaver sockets, additional protection via an RCD will be required for ALL circuits in a location containing a bath or shower 701.411.3.3

Last edited by a moderator:
Standard shaver sockets are not SELV (the clue is Separated ELV), they are actually electrical separated LV, similar, but the regulations governing their uses are different due to the differing voltage bands in which each operates.
When installing the shaver sockets, additional protection via an RCD will be required for ALL circuits in a location containing a bath or shower 701.411.3.3

Gets a few that one. Thats why it still says 230V on the outlet :eek:

You could fit an RCD spur in the loft (assuming upstairs bathroom) for the sake of getting it done and leaving?

The requirements of the Regulations, are (pre-ammendment) that: "Additional protection shall be provided for all circuits of the location, by use of one or more RCDs having the charcteristics specified in Regulation 415.1.1."
The ammendment has changed the wording to "all low voltage circuits".
To my mind the use of an RCD spur which would only protect part of a circuit, would not be acceptable.

well he only has 4 recessed spots in each bathroom, they all power showers now with pump being installed in garage attic... so so maybe looks like il have to rewire these lights aswell or do as someone says and use rcd fcu for lights and shaver socket.

but what im thinking is just use 6A mcb on rcd side and run two bathroom circuits off this. then pull all other cables back. and then thats his bathrooms upto date and kitchen. hes keen to get dome to standards not like when it was wired.. and the quick additions over the years..

Last edited:
If you have space to put a 6A MCB on the RCD side then just transfer the bathroom lighting circuit over to this and then take a feed from the lights down to the new shaver sockets.

yeah im nearly certain all lights are one circuit.. so would be running new feed from cu to switch...

so would you agree by protecting installing shaver socket ,id have to rcd the lights???

The best and most compliant method is to protect all the circuits in the bathroom with an RCD when you are making changes.
If you have just the one lighting circuit that is currently on a non RCD protected way in the CU and can move this cable from non RCD protected to an RCD protected MCB, then this is very easy (even if you need to extend the cable a bit). simple and straight forward compliance. There should be no need to run another cable from the CU to the switch, Just move the existing cable over in the CU.

should of said its an old 3036 board which has been added to alot over the years.

Yeah, I know what you mean, can be a right mess some units.
Just take out the lighting line conductor and give it a tug and see which neutrals and cpcs move!! Just hope more cables don't pop out!
Disconnect those and see if there is any give on the cable then just tuck it all back at the point you need.

Reply to shaver socket outlets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock