Discuss Shed electrical supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I am going to help my father in law with getting power to his shed, but have very rarely done domestic electrical work, mainly industrial.

Going the whole SWA straight from the DB to a new DB in the shed route isn’t really feasible due to distant location of DB and pricing of materials etc.

Is it acceptable to take a non switched fused spur (13A) from the ring circuit in his house out to the sockets in his shed via 2.5mm T+E in conduit along the garden wall, to the sockets in his shed. From there spur off from the shed sockets with a non switched fused spur (3A) to the lighting within his shed, probably just two LED bulkhead type.

I know there is this whole problem with exporting PME, but there will be no extraneous conductive parts in shed as far as I am aware.

Thanks guys and sorry if I am ignorant to any regs!

Is it acceptable to take a non switched fused spur (13A) from the ring circuit in his house out to the sockets in his shed via 2.5mm T+E in conduit along the garden wall, to the sockets in his shed. From there spur off from the shed sockets with a non switched fused spur (3A) to the lighting within his shed, probably just two LED bulkhead type.

Welcome to the forum mate.
Yes it is acceptable.
What is the distance of the 2.5mm T&E?
Does the circuit you are taking this from have RCD protection?

Welcome to the forum mate.
Yes it is acceptable.
What is the distance of the 2.5mm T&E?
Does the circuit you are taking this from have RCD protection?
Cheers mate. I would say roughly 20m, and yes it is on a B32 circuit breaker but the whole DB is protected by a 30mA RCD.

Cheers mate. I would say roughly 20m, and yes it is on a B32 circuit breaker but the whole DB is protected by a 30mA RCD.

So you are ok for RCD protection and volt drop then.
As you know, you max load will be 13A in the shed.

I'd price up how much 20 meters conduit and 2.5mm T&E is against 20 meters 2.5mm SWA.

Is it viable to run 2.5 swa from the spur along the fence? I agree with the above advice as well regarding the double pole spur it will be very helpful if there is a future fault

Is it viable to run 2.5 swa from the spur along the fence?

The OP does say "2.5mm T+E in conduit along the garden wall". I presumed the garden wall was a brick wall, or he would have said 'fence'.
I'm sure the OP will clarify this.

The OP does say "2.5mm T+E in conduit along the garden wall". I presumed the garden wall was a brick wall, or he would have said 'fence'.
Lol fence wall kind of similar swa still a better job that pvc conduit and t+e

Yes it is a brick garden wall, and I think I will go down the route of an SWA instead of T+E, thanks!
[automerge]1575057148[/automerge]
Thanks everyone for the replies so far, been very helpful!??

If you’re using SWA is it feasible to get to the DB and put the shed on its own circuit?

If you’re using SWA is it feasible to get to the DB and put the shed on its own circuit?
Not really as the DB is the other side of the house, and I’m not sure whether the cable to the sub mains DB is of an adequate size, and I’m not sure what size the breaker in the main DB feeding the sub mains is. I would obviously have a look at all of these things but he lives over two hours away!

Not really as the DB is the other side of the house, and I’m not sure whether the cable to the sub mains DB is of an adequate size, and I’m not sure what size the breaker in the main DB feeding the sub mains is. I would obviously have a look at all of these things but he lives over two hours away!
2 hours flying time or on foot? :p :p

Reply to Shed electrical supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock