Discuss Shed/garage supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all , a family member has asked me to come and install a small board and downlights and sockets in his newly buit garage. There is currently a 6mm SWA cable running from the house to the shed which has a small garage board powering lights and sockets in the shed. I was going to change that to a small 6 way board and run a new supply from there on a 40a RCBO accross to the garage and install a garage DB (RCD +6a,32a) mcbs for the lights and sockets in there. Is there an easier way to do this?

Hi all , a family member has asked me to come and install a small board and downlights and sockets in his newly buit garage. There is currently a 6mm SWA cable running from the house to the shed which has a small garage board powering lights and sockets in the shed. I was going to change that to a small 6 way board and run a new supply from there on a 40a RCBO accross to the garage and install a garage DB (RCD +6a,32a) mcbs for the lights and sockets in there. Is there an easier way to do this?
What is the 6mm2 fed from?

why not leave shed CU as is and loop a 6mm SWA from it's incomer to the garage. then fit your 2 way RCD CU in garage?

Wasnt sure this was aloud is there anything in the regs about doubling up?
Provided a circuit is electrically safe (i.e. cable and load current ratings, and OCPD, are all coordinated) and mechanically safe (i.e. terminals are able to accepts more than one conductor safely) it is fine. What they are very clear about is not crossing circuits (the "borrowed neutral") when the live of one circuit may return via the neutral of another.

How much load is in the garage? Do you really need a DB in there? If it's just a couple of sockets for general use and a couple of lights you could feed it off the shed power MCB (16/20a?) straight to the sockets and use an FCU for the lights. Of course if there's more in there a small DB is the way to go.

There is absolutely no point in having an RCBO in the house and also an RCD in the outbuilding. Run it from an MCB if you must, but that won’t give any discrimination.
re
by using a henley block?
you could, but From where would the current be limited?
PS. This is notifiable electrical work. You or your family member must raise a building notice with LABC and pay their fee before work starts. You’ll have to test it all in Accordance with BS7671.
You may find it cheaper and easier to employ a registered electrician.

Reply to Shed/garage supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net