Discuss Shed wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

davie25

Am wiring a shed ,One power and one light circuit,am putting a little fuse board in the shed,do I need a main switch or can I get a RCD main switch??The cable is RCD protected at the main fuseboard and I am using MCB in the little shed board,any ideas,cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Too many unknowns, too may variables

Think you need to provide more information and then you may get some helpful input

Are you sure about that?? I tought the shed had to be seperate to the house.Doing it that way would mean that if the shed trips it will trip the house aswell as the RCD is protecting downstairs sockets as well

There was a guide to exporting PME to outbuildings on here at one point, It was a good starting point to answer your questions.
Basically, If you have no metallic services or structural steel in the shed then there is no need to seperate the earthing arrangments.

Are you sure about that?? I tought the shed had to be seperate to the house.Doing it that way would mean that if the shed trips it will trip the house aswell as the RCD is protecting downstairs sockets as well
There's no guarantee that the RCD in the house won't trip before the one in the shed, it's more than likely will trip the house first due to the influence of other circuits.

Is this a DIY job by any chance?

some people put a tt stake for out buildings but as stated you can export the earth from the main consumer unit but with a fault in the shed your likely to knock out the indoor consumer unit !! if you stake it do not conect the earth from the supply cable !! sleeve it up and terminate it into a block ,but make sure the supply earth is still conected indoors and 2 rcd,s rated the same in line is a no no unless the one indoors is a delayed one

Am wiring a shed ,One power and one light circuit,am putting a little fuse board in the shed,do I need a main switch or can I get a RCD main switch??The cable is RCD protected at the main fuseboard and I am using MCB in the little shed board,any ideas,cheers

What size cable are u using, what type of cable are you using. How far away is shed what's the In going to be......
Wonder if this is another post where we get no input from the op

Reply to Shed wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock