Discuss Shock with main switch off in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

paulfreer

Mate of mine rang me and said he changed a light fitting in one if his bedrooms. He turned the main switch off so not just the breaker for the upstairs lights,And he said he got a shock when touching the earth and neutral!! I said are you sure it was a neutral he said definately and he's fit the new fitting and it works fine. I said this was not possible unless his house is tapping off next doors or the lights are fed from the incoming side of the main switch, Which would mean he would have got a proper belt from the live!! Am I missing something here

Mate of mine rang me and said he changed a light fitting in one if his bedrooms. He turned the main switch off so not just the breaker for the upstairs lights,And he said he got a shock when touching the earth and neutral!! I said are you sure it was a neutral he said definately and he's fit the new fitting and it works fine. I said this was not possible unless his house is tapping off next doors or the lights are fed from the incoming side of the main switch, Which would mean he would have got a proper belt from the live!! Am I missing something here

Yup.

Never believe what clients tell you and go and do some investigation with your mft

If the main switch is off, it shouldn't be possible to get a shock between earth and neutral. Your mate needs to get an electrician in to investigate as this sounds potentially unsafe. (Unless it's just a bit of static from walking on the carpet.)

Its more than likely he just turned the light switch of and upon breaking the neutral got a 230v potential between N/E and when talking to you his story changed so as not to show his stupidy after you probably said something and it click in his head..... get this all the time .... people dont like to look stupid (well most) so its strange how they all suddenly know about safe isolation etc when its pointed out that a liht switch may still leave live parts in the existing fitting.

have had a main switch (tenby) that was broken and only broke the neutral when it was switched off, the live was stuck closed and the plastic switch bit on the front had obviously become detached internally.
I noticed when I came to do the meggering and got the live warning beep,

Could there be capacitor on the circuit somewhere (fluo maybe) that had stored a charge and then discharged through your mate on contact with neutral? Is this possible? Thoughs anyone?

Never believe or take as gospel everything a layman (be they friends, family, or paying customer's) tells you. Take it on board, and confirm or otherwise with your test equipment!! The chances here are, that his telling you a porky pie, to get you to come and sort something else out for him!! lol!!

Customers also don't use the correct names for things, they'll often call an MCB a main switch and as already mentioned they'll often lie through their teeth so as not to look stupid. If he's a mate tell him to buy some beers and pop around and do some basic tests and quick visual at the CU.

He probably isolated or tried to from the switch forgetting about the loop or a capacitive charge from a fluro using him as a route to earth.

Reply to Shock with main switch off in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock