Discuss Shonky Builders in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Of course another option would have been to have a functioning building control system and proper regulation that didn't allow shonky building to be done in the first place, but what do I know!

I imagine this might get some push back from wealthy house building companies so wouldn't be surprised if it was filtered down before it appears in law - even setting aside the fact that suing can be expensive....

Will have to see the small print - most new builds I've seen could/should be sued for non-compliant electrical installations based on what I've seen on the EICRs I've had to do this last year...

Interesting that it's going to be retrospective, BUT it relies on the builder / developer still be in existance.

"I'm announcing today we are going to change the law retrospectively to give every homeowner 15 years in which to take action against the people who built their building if there is shoddy workmanship.

I suspect a lot over the last 15 years have folded.

Something that will defeat this though is that developers quite often set a new company just for a development, particularly building conversions, usually named after the development.
You can see this if you look at planning applications.
Presumably for accounting purposes, but all they have to do is wind the company up after completion of the development.

To try and stop problems via Building control would need qualified control persons permanently on every site, just as Government contracts used to have Clerk of the Works and thier team.

Of course another option would have been to have a functioning building control system and proper regulation that didn't allow shonky building to be done in the first place, but what do I know!

I imagine this might get some push back from wealthy house building companies so wouldn't be surprised if it was filtered down before it appears in law - even setting aside the fact that suing can be expensive....

Will have to see the small print - most new builds I've seen could/should be sued for non-compliant electrical installations based on what I've seen on the EICRs I've had to do this last year...

Brand new build electrical installations are notoriously poor and some are down right dangerous , has been this was for years. No amount of legislation will stop terrible wiring in new builds…

I have have found multiple C2s and the odd occasional C1 on brand new homes , plus a plethora of corner cutting and shoddy workmanship

Can't see it making any difference, by the time the lawyers get involved the costs will be prohibitive and what bar will be used to judge the shoddiness of the work.

Nice sounding law that will deliver very little.

Interesting that it's going to be retrospective, BUT it relies on the builder / developer still be in existance.

"I'm announcing today we are going to change the law retrospectively to give every homeowner 15 years in which to take action against the people who built their building if there is shoddy workmanship.

I suspect a lot over the last 15 years have folded.
And unless the company directors are also made responsible and liable for the poor workmanship of a failed company this will be the problem that there is no one to take action against
Something that will defeat this though is that developers quite often set a new company just for a development, particularly building conversions, usually named after the development.
You can see this if you look at planning applications.
Presumably for accounting purposes, but all they have to do is wind the company up after completion of the development.

To try and stop problems via Building control would need qualified control persons permanently on every site, just as Government contracts used to have Clerk of the Works and thier team.
Reminds me a bit of the new Royal Liverpool Hospital, Carillion went bust and another contractor was brought in and they found a number of structural defects, it took about 12 months to correct the defects so they could finish the building work yet nobody at Carillion will be held to account and no doubt some of the Carillion management team involved will still be working on the project for the new contractor

Yep,the chalice-of-poop got passed to Laing o'rourke,and i noticed this years spend approval,was 108 mil....with "...24 million pounds worth of risks in programme......being assessed and managed..." whatever they are ?

There are still statements regarding it's past finances,online,from Mayor Joe Anderson,so money well spent ?

Sad to say,Liverpools financial history over the last 50 years,has fell short of their music,football and comedy prowess.

Reply to Shonky Builders in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock