Discuss Shopfitting. . .. am I missing something? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

lurch

-
Reaction score
I been around for a few years, but have never been involved in shopfitting in any depth. However on the odd occasion I have dipped into it I have always been disappointed with the standard of work. .. cables slung across ceiling tiles, no grommets, taped connector joints on lighting etc . . etc . .. supposedly by bonafide, medium sized national NIC EIC companies. . . is this the acceptable standard, or are these supposed tradesmen having it off ?

think you answered your own question. so many just throwing it in, out of sight etc. for gett it done as cheap as possible.

A bloke at our place did a lot of shop fitting when he was younger for another firm. He said that it was always classed as a temporary installation as in a few years it would be ripped out and changed again to something different....

I have several friends from different trades that used to shop fit on a regular basis, mostly done at night, time to complete works were a joke and the wages/cost to do the works were so low (i would not get out of bed for ) No wonder the quality was/is so poor

I think the workmanship nowadays is pretty poor...works being completed are never checked,these days there are no clerk of the works...who used to scare the crap out of you.

I started out in the trade doing commercial refurbs, mainly cafes and pubs but quite a few high street stores aswell. was an eye opener for sure.
A lot of it comes down to speed but that should be no excuse for shoddy or dangerous work. Our foreman was a stickler for detail and tidiness. he took view if it would be good enough to go in his home he would sign it off, otherwise sort it out.
There is also the issue a lot of these shops work on a short term basis and want it done as cheap as possible to keep costs down and they dont know if they will still be going in a few years or might need to rip it out to keep up with changes in style. one of the phone shops we did now use a modular system so that they can take out parts using clik fittings. and replace or move. without having to take everything down. Likewise some of the high end shops where money means nothing such as Apple and some of the london clothes designers would spare nothing in having just what they want and very good quality too.
A lot of shop leases require all internal fittings to be removable, so often it is effectively a internal shell barely touching main structure and lots of connections and glorified extension leads. this does mean its often fabricated off site and just installed quickly.

Mr Clerk of the Works = Mr OT Man ;o)))) always keep on the good side of him.

I had pride in my work, the fuel depots at Heathrow haven't blown up yet ;o))))

Reply to Shopfitting. . .. am I missing something? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net