Discuss short circuit capactiy bs3871 type 2 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
could anyone help me with the short circuit capacity and maximum permitted zs of a BS3871 type 2 MCB please. And if using the sheath on a micc cable as cpc what do you put in the cpc mm2, is putting sheath acceptable.

Thanks Paul

Last edited:
Last edited:
And if using the sheath on a micc cable as cpc what do you put in the cpc mm2, is putting sheath acceptable.

Thanks Paul

Cross sectional area in mm squared of regular MICC.

Effective area of cable sheath......

2L1 ****** 5.4 mm2
3L1 ****** 6.7mm2

2L1.5 ****** 6.3 mm2
3L1.5 ****** 7.8 mm2
4L1.5 ****** 9.1 mm2

2H1.5 ****** 11 mm2
3H1.5 ****** 12 mm2
4H1.5 ****** 14 mm2

2L2.5 ****** 8.2 mm2
3L2.5 ****** 9.5 mm2
4L2.5 ****** 11 mm2

2H2.5 ****** 13 mm2
3H2.5 ****** 14 mm2
4H2.5 ****** 16 mm2

2L4 ****** 11 mm2
2H4 ****** 16 mm2

2H6 ****** 18 mm2
3H6 ****** 20 mm2

2H10 ****** 24mm2
3H10 ****** 27mm2

2H16 ****** 30mm2
3H16 ****** 34mm2

Thanks for your advice everyone i've got all the information i need. I know this might sound bit weird but has anyone got a old 15th edition im doing quite a bit of testing and might be of use.

Also when doing a PIR you still need to know if the installation meets the standards of the edition to which it was wired.

So an installation wired and complying to the 15th edition would be perfectly satisfactory you would only have to note the items that do not comply to the current edition as code 4.

It might be worth trying to source one if you do PIR's.

Also when doing a PIR you still need to know if the installation meets the standards of the edition to which it was wired.

So if you found a building wired to the 1st edition, would you be saying that you would only put code 4's down?

I know that's a bit extreme, but in essence that's what your argument is, no?

Hopefully an installation done in 1888 would be out of comission by now but you could still have fully servicable and compliant installations to the 14th & 15th editions which can not be deemed unsatisfactory just because there is a newer addition to the regs.

Take for example a 16th edition installation installed in 2005 and due it's 1st periodic now. This installation will not have all socket outlets RCD protected nor will it have RCD protection on all circuits in bath / shower rooms etc. but the installation can still be satisfactory.

All opinions welcome.

Hopefully an installation done in 1888 would be out of comission by now but you could still have fully servicable and compliant installations to the 14th & 15th editions which can not be deemed unsatisfactory just because there is a newer addition to the regs.

Take for example a 16th edition installation installed in 2005 and due it's 1st periodic now. This installation will not have all socket outlets RCD protected nor will it have RCD protection on all circuits in bath / shower rooms etc. but the installation can still be satisfactory.

All opinions welcome.

So would you be happy with a fused neutral, as it was compliant with the regulations at the time of construction?

Or no RCDs on socket outlets that are likely to supply portable equipment outside the equipotential zone? A requirement for quite a while, and all the big players agree that it is a code 2, but there are enough BS3036 boxes out there with no RCD protection.

Just a few thoughts!

(I like to chat me, :) )

Reply to short circuit capactiy bs3871 type 2 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock