Discuss Short on pos and neg in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just installed a new consumer unit in my garage. No issues with that but the lighting I have installed has a short across positive and negative.

I have fault finded by disconnecting all cables and find no short. Including the 2 wall light fittings I have installed. But as soon as I connect it all together the short returns.

If I turn the lights on they work and do not trip out the breaker. Obviously though I don't want a short.

Any ideas as to what may be causing thismamy Thanks

As above you are reading the lamps, not a dead short as such as that wouldn't permit the breaker to switch on.

Yes the lamps are in. I will take them out and do the test again and let you know. Thanks
Lamps taken out and no short. I have 4 lamps and when I put 2 in no short but when I put in the 3rd the short returns.

My main concern is that when the lights when all on and fitted the short goes through to my other pos and neg circuits on the consumer unit

It is not a short, ignore it, you are seeing the low resistive values of a pre energised lamp when energised resistance and/or inductive fields will build up preventing shorts, this is why we remove all loads from circuits before testing to ensure no false positives.

The new consumer unit in garage is wired in 6mm sea cable and has its own RCD breaker. All other circuits are fine just the lighting circuit. But as advised it looks like I was picking up the lamps as the were in when cable tested
What Buzz was getting at is the installation of a consumer unit in a dwelling is notifiable to Building Control under Part P of the Building Regulations. This is a legal requirement.

It is not a short, ignore it, you are seeing the low resistive values of a pre energised lamp when energised resistance and/or inductive fields will build up preventing shorts, this is why we remove all loads from circuits before testing to ensure no false positives.
Thanks for you help. Much appreciated. Made my Saturday a lot easier. Can go enjoy the football now

Can you show a pic of the consumer unit internal wiring.

Hi all,

I've just installed a new consumer unit in my garage. No issues with that but the lighting I have installed has a short across positive and negative.

I have fault finded by disconnecting all cables and find no short. Including the 2 wall light fittings I have installed. But as soon as I connect it all together the short returns.

If I turn the lights on they work and do not trip out the breaker. Obviously though I don't want a short.

Any ideas as to what may be causing thismamy Thanks
You mean L and N POS and NEG are DC terms

Reply to Short on pos and neg in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock