Discuss Should i do 2392 or 2391 testing and inspection? in the Electrical Courses and Electrical NVQ's area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

So i've been doing electrics for several years now, and am going for my 18th edition this week. I'm 99% confident i'm going to pass it.

After that i want to do a proper testing and inspection qualification. I've never done much testing but need to learn it for obvious reasons. I have Guidance Note 3 and various resources which i'm just digging into now.

I know i can do the Initial Testing and Inspection 2392 but i'm wondering if there is any point? ie, will it lead to work?

I don't want to pay for the Initial which is gonna be about £800 if i then just have to pay another grand to do Initial and Period in another course to get the 2391.

My only worry is the course being a bit too advanced for me.

I have access to testing equipment and can set up a rig, along with doing more stuff at work, but i don't want to go straight for the exam if there's a good chance i'll fail it.

So, is the 2392 worth it to get me going (for more job opportunities) or is it just worth waiting and going for the 2391 when i'm ready?

UNG

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
It is difficult to advise I would say go for the 2391 but then I don't know your level of qualification, competance or experience
If testing and inspection is a regular part of your work and you have a good knowledge of test equipment then you should not have a problem
When it comes to the exams try and stay calm no matter how much the clock is wanting you to stress out

Alan-N

Supporter
Reaction score
2392 covers Initial verification only and is Level 2
2391 also covers Periodoc Inspection and is level 3

2391 is generally considered a requirement to perform EICR's as it demonstrates a level of knowledge, although technically it's not actually required, some customers, businesses, insurance companies may not accept your certificate without 2391 and/or membership of one of the contractor schemes.. IMHO If you have experience, just go for 2391

OP
S
Reaction score
It is difficult to advise I would say go for the 2391 but then I don't know your level of qualification, competance or experience
If testing and inspection is a regular part of your work and you have a good knowledge of test equipment then you should not have a problem
When it comes to the exams try and stay calm no matter how much the clock is wanting you to stress out

2392 covers Initial verification only and is Level 2
2391 also covers Periodoc Inspection and is level 3

2391 is generally considered a requirement to perform EICR's as it demonstrates a level of knowledge, although technically it's not actually required, some customers, businesses, insurance companies may not accept your certificate without 2391 and/or membership of one of the contractor schemes.. IMHO If you have experience, just go for 2391
Thanks for the responses guys.

The 2392 is the initial verification only, and they say it's for those inexperienced with testing.

Really, how much more difficult is the periodic inspection? So much more difficult they apparently had to separate the two so people could pass.

Is this the reality of it? How much harder is periodic inspection than initial verification?

JBW175

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys.

The 2392 is the initial verification only, and they say it's for those inexperienced with testing.

Really, how much more difficult is the periodic inspection? So much more difficult they apparently had to separate the two so people could pass.

Is this the reality of it? How much harder is periodic inspection than initial verification?

It all comes down to experience and how much you have of it to be fair.

If you’ve got very little experience in testing and filling out the associated paperwork, I’d probably hold back on doing it for a bit until you’ve got more, especially 3 phase installations as they’re a big part of the assessment.

It’s the practical where most people fall down as they run out of time, don’t leave enough time to complete paperwork, fail on safety etc…

SJD

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The periodic testing & inspection includes (or at least it did some 10 years ago) faults you have to find and a set of photos of issues that you have to correctly identify & correctly code. Which needs some experience of what to look for.

Reply to Should i do 2392 or 2391 testing and inspection? in the Electrical Courses and Electrical NVQ's area at ElectriciansForums.net