Discuss Should I get Electric Storage Heaters? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have just bought a 1 bedroom flat in Cambridge. It's all electric, gas is not an option for me - no gas to building at all.

The flat comes with an economy 7 meter and old storage heaters that I will need to replace as they smell and look awful. So do I stick and buy modern storage heaters or opt for something else?

I have been given a rate by the electricity supplier Bulb that consists of:

Peak/Day rate - 7am to 12pm: 15p
Off Peak/Night rate - 12pm to 7am: 7p

I have been looking at Dimplex Quantum storage heaters, they look modern and from what I actually see are as good as it's going to get when it comes to a modern storage heaters. However, I know they store heat, but how effectively and will they tie in with my lifestyle i.e. are they worth the money in the way that I would use them.

I work a regular 9 to 5, but will often not be home until later. So I would be wanting heating in the morning from say 6.00am through to 8.30am. And then heat in the evening, say 6.00pm through to 12.00pm.

Dimplex doesn't offer any kind of calculator to see of their products will fit your usage patterns, so I'd be keen to hear from you.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Michael

I should have also added that the times mentioned above are for week days during the winter months.
Weekends during winter months assume that I will need heating from 7am to 12pm. In the summer months I will turn the heaters off completely, which I assume will not damage this type of storage heaters i.e. they don't need a base-line level of power to preserve functionality

Have you thought about having an Electric Combi Boiler installed instead of storage heaters? Might be worth considering.

Storage heaters all now need a second supply so unfortunately its not a case of a straight swap anymore, how is the rate effected if you come off eco7? For versatility you may be aswell with a couple of... Dare i say it... panel heaters... Look at the dinplex Qrad

moving to a flat would be 12p per kwh, so quite a bit higher than the economy 7 (nearly double).

I was looking at panel heaters initially, these for instance:

Milano Aruba Slim Electric - White Space-Saving Vertical Designer Radiator 1600mm x 236mm - https://www.bestheating.com/milano-aruba-slim-white-space-saving-vertical-electric-designer-radiator-1600mm-x-236mm.html

However, if I can keep the economy 7 i.e. if systems like Quantum will retain heat over the course of an entire day, then wiring up the storage heaters to have two power sources probably would likely be an acceptable trade off. One of the existing storage heaters already has two power supplies and my flat actually has an abundance of power options - I guess because its an all electric setup.

The heater in your link wont be powerfull enough, if youve already got an off and onpeak supply available at the heaters than it does bring storage heaters back into play, it will let heat out all day though, maybe a quantum in the lounge and a qrad in your bedroom?

My understanding is that the materials used for the 'bricks' and the insulation of them in the Quantum's is a significant improvement when compared to the storage heaters of hold. I'd be keen to hear if anyone has any direct experience with them i.e. how much heat are they able to retain and for how long?

All storage heating IMHO is outdated and rubbish. The Quantums are no different really to the old storage heaters you already have. Just a new shiny case, badge and some updated electronics. They have a second supply for a boost element. I'd 2nd JK-Electricals comment about an electric boiler or some form of electric radiators instead.

Reply to Should I get Electric Storage Heaters? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net