Discuss Should the UK pay up? UK told to pay £1.7bn extra to EU in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

I am of the belief the eu has become too unweildly but i think there needs to be more intregration not less to overcome the current problems. If the uk decides to isolate itself from the eu it will be turning its back on its biggest export market €275bn a year. Free trade is linked to free movement of goods and free movement of people

The problem with the EU is the fact that there are so many poorer countries involved now, they will do anything to prevent reform that would mean they would get less money.

this and this alone will hold the eu back for decades wilst the bricks motor on ahead regardless. Europe could well end up being a poor continent in the not too distant future

The problem with the EU is the fact that there are so many poorer countries involved now, they will do anything to prevent reform that would mean they would get less money.

this and this alone will hold the eu back for decades wilst the bricks motor on ahead regardless. Europe could well end up being a poor continent in the not too distant future
Totally agree Murdock.

Why won't they ,can't see your reasoning there young man

Because eu president jose manuel barroso has warned cameron any restriction on free movement or an exit from eu will result in the end of free trade with the eu.

On a personal note considering my entitlement to uk and roi passports it may open up a new career importing/exporting goods between dublin and belfast

Id be of the opinion a rising tide lifts all boats, look how eu membership has transformed ireland and portugal by givinv them access to bigger markets.

Given the state of the UK economy just now Cameron's handling of this could turn into a disaster of biblical proportions.
However, come December 2nd he'll have the cheque book out.
More borrowing that will be blamed on someone else

If we say no to the EU I predict, the frenchie papers will hype the EU rhetoric & you'll see wagon loads of UK meat being burnt at the dockside.....................again

You cant have your cake and eat it

I don't want my cake and to eat it.

This "demand" for extra funds has resulted in a calculation that assesses the economies of Europe since 1995, yes 1995, that's 19 years ago.

Talk about incompetence.

This should also alert all of Europe as to the poor way the EU is funded, especially if you take Germany for example - they have a huge trade surplus, yet they are entitled to a refund. Stupid

My main point is that this calculation goes back so far - WHY?

Just imagine opening a letter from HMRC today and them telling you that they have decided to recalculate you tax for the last 19 years - how would you feel?

I recall the EU talking about 7 year budget settlements - so why can't thay make a reassessment every 7 years?

BBC News - EU budget anger - UK is not alone

Portugal doesn't need transforming.

the people are charming, and I love hundreds of miles of unspoilt cork forests.

its a poor country. Probably always will be! They're not suddenly going to become fabulously rich like Abu Dhabi

And if you dont allow europeans into uk then the europeans wont allow uk manufactured goods into europe

Trade is a two way street, as MDJ pointed out we are big importers from EU so if UK increase import taxes on goods from EU the likes of German car industry , not to mention Bosch, Siemens and others in France and Italy will surely suffer, businessmen are not politicians they want profits and will surely kick up a stink.

As far as I know the EU have still not been able to show how they have calculated the figures for the money the UK and other countries owe or how the rebates were calculated, the fact that the EU's accounts have not been signed off by accountants for 19 years in a row makes you wonder just how much can they be trusted.

"And a number of people are put down by others being told that there source is not true because they read the wrong news stand rag yet they never state or substantiate their sources, so there is another cop out by some"
However, if someone makes a statement as fact then they should be able to back that statement up when challenged

So why don't you state your sources when putting others down

And if you dont allow europeans into uk then the europeans wont allow uk manufactured goods into europe

Are they coming to work or sponge off the state

Because eu president jose manuel barroso has warned cameron any restriction on free movement or an exit from eu will result in the end of free trade with the eu.

Of the EU it will be bankrupt, it's on the brink now

On a personal note considering my entitlement to uk and roi passports it may open up a new career importing/exporting goods between dublin and belfast

A bit of bootlegging

Id be of the opinion a rising tide lifts all boats, look how eu membership has transformed ireland and portugal by givinv them access to bigger markets.

They already had access to those markets before if the tariff was paid.
The Euro has transformed (oops screwed up) so many member states economies because each member states economy isn't on the same level you only have to look at Greece and Spain to see that Portugal isn't that far behind in hitting rock bottom

Reply to Should the UK pay up? UK told to pay £1.7bn extra to EU in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net