Discuss Should there be a 2391 Arms? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Should those who have passed 2391 have an exclusive forum?

It might be hard to prove who has and who hasn't passed it.

it shouldnt be called 2391 it should be called 976 evil im sure that would be a number employers wouldnt get confused about with the other testing qualification 2392 theres nothing worse than a employer ringing someone up and saying have you got 2391 when it clearly states not on there cv lmao:cool:

Would that be a 2391-10 forum, or a 2391-20 forum, or both?
Alternatively you could just list all your qualifications in your signature.

I suppose the real debate should be if there is any need to have any exclusive forums?

The forum should be exclusive. It should only be for qualified electricians, apprentices, registered trainees or relevant persons. All this free info for DIYers is contributing to devalueing the trade.

devon1 your bang on, this is a great forum but it does encourage cowboy electricians completing rewires in the domestic scene and thn mkin there apperance on bbc rogue traders thts probley the best thing about it lol:cool:

devon1 your bang on, this is a great forum but it does encourage cowboy electricians completing rewires in the domestic scene and thn mkin there apperance on bbc rogue traders thts probley the best thing about it lol:cool:

don`t agree at all that the forum encourages cowboy electricians at all. i would say the vast majority of members on here are in the trade and qualified. thats the difference between this forum and the screwfix forum. we could ban everyone that does not have the relevant quals etc, but would that exclude a very very good sparky i know that can do every aspect of the job that he has been doing for years but without the quals? also policing the no quals/ not in the trade would be almost impossible. if you are going to do dodgy electrics stopping people from looking on here would achieve nothing at all. at least if they come on here asking and someone is willing to help they will get the RIGHT advice (Mostly they will get told "get an electrician in") it`s quite easy to spot the novices and cowboys by the way they post. i for one think this is a great forum and thank everyone responsible and that includes us the guys who post for a great place to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
This forum IMHO, is the best there is.

We have many members of all types, who contribute regularly to help out anyone that needs it.

We also have the Pub forum which is only open to "trade only" if you like, where anything and everything can be discussed.

If you want access you know the drill.;)

We have many members of all types, who contribute regularly to help out anyone that needs it.

it certainly is the best around and the people on here posting and the mods help keep it that way. i for one am happy to help anyone and feel proud that i can, if i feel by the nature of the post and the questions that are being asked that the poster could injure him/herself or others then the advice i will give is to get an electrician in which is sometimes the safest way. we don`t have to reply to any post but most do so to help others and thats why it`s so good.

don`t agree at all that the forum encourages cowboy electricians at all. i would say the vast majority of members on here are in the trade and qualified. thats the difference between this forum and the screwfix forum. we could ban everyone that does not have the relevant quals etc, but would that exclude a very very good sparky i know that can do every aspect of the job that he has been doing for years but without the quals? also policing the no quals/ not in the trade would be almost impossible. if you are going to do dodgy electrics stopping people from looking on here would achieve nothing at all. at least if they come on here asking and someone is willing to help they will get the RIGHT advice (Mostly they will get told "get an electrician in") it`s quite easy to spot the novices and cowboys by the way they post. i for one think this is a great forum and thank everyone responsible and that includes us the guys who post for a great place to be.

We also have the Pub forum which is only open to "trade only" if you like, where anything and everything can be discussed.

If you want access you know the drill.;)

Couldn't agree more with you guys.

I personally have browsed through other electrical forums and never found the urge to sign up to any of them.

www.electriciansforums.net is number one.

yeah i think you're right. It's a great forum.
Knowledge sharing has always happened throughout civilization. I know there are other factors involved, but just as a comparison on an ozzy forum if a DIYer asks for info everyone sticks together and says "you need to be licensed' ...go away. Then they continue to earn their average sparks wage of £20 per hour.

I sought of sit on the fence with regards to helping clearly inexperienced people. My worry is that anyone gaining advice from us sparks will not have the necesary instument to prove there work is good and ensure they dont injure/kill a member of their family.

But I gotta say, electricians are a special breed and I love to use this place to keep in touch and discuss grey areas... Congrats to the forum gaffer on a really special site.

I wonder how many other trades sit after a hard days work and read/write about their jobs?

I don’t think people who don’t have 2391 should be banned, even if it is only one category. Apart from the fact that proving a 2391 might be difficult (and easy to fake also), I think there are many people which are not experienced electricians (me included) who enter here just to find advices for things they like to do for themselves around the house. I am not giving too many advices because there are so many experienced people here that know much more than me, but I learned a lot of things here already (some of them I applied in my home).

Reply to Should there be a 2391 Arms? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net