Discuss Shower "CU" change in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Geoffsd

Have just replaced shower consumer unit which is in garage. Just RCD & 40A MCB.

I was treating this as 'like for like' change and as such just a minor work certificate.

As the shower is obviously in the bathroom I thought I should notify. When entering on scheme site the options are 'New Consumer Unit' or 'Alteration to existing circuit'.

Whilst these units are called consumer units are they classed as the same as a proper cu for these purposes and should I fill out an EIC?

For a cu change regardless of how small I would issue a EIC. In affect you have changed the circuit by changing the cu.

tend to disagree with you there , paul. altered circuit parameters, but so would adding an extra socket to a ring. i would say MWC..

heres a question for you, If I change a complete board and I need to issue a EIC but if I have to change a defective RCD or MCB then I need to issue MWC?

heres a question for you, If I change a complete board and I need to issue a EIC but if I have to change a defective RCD or MCB then I need to issue MWC?

A good question. If a light bulb is changed is an MWC necessary? Where is the dividing line?

My take would be to consider the safety and design of the change. If there is any possibility that the polarity, Zs, or the voltage drop could have changed then I would say a MWC would be necessary.

Correct you do have to do an EIC and notify the work to the lab ,change a defective MCB or RCD then you dont as you are not altlering the circuit , having said that if you change the RCD then you need to ensure that the RCD is working correctly so coule be an idea to use a mwc to log the tripping details down

tend to disagree with you there , paul. altered circuit parameters, but so would adding an extra socket to a ring. i would say MWC..

Hell Tel my learned friend, this is one of those gray areas which my tutor at the time couldn't answer so u looked into it myself and came up with page 336 of the regs.

"minor electrical installation works cert:- This cert can be used for replacement of equipment such as accessories or luminaries, but not for the replacement of distribution boards or similar items."

That is the reason why I said to issue an EIC but imho I don't think it matters long as one or the other is issued.

i have just read the original post here and what had been changed is a distribuition board To an RCD board with 40 amp MCB so in this case there is only one certificate which is an EIC and also it would have to be notified as it supplies a room containing bath or shower , if it was a like for like shower then i would just issue a MW the only reason for issuing this is i like to confirm that the circuit is safe and what it takes to issue a MW is nothing

Sorry geoff its an EIC you need to issue and notification is required to

agreed page 336. MWC not to be usede for DB change. however, page 334 " EIC to be used olny for initial,.......where new circuits have been introduced." no mention of DBs. so it would appear that there is no appropriate certificate for a DB change.

The notes on the back of a MWC state:
"This Certificate may also be used for the replacement of equipment such as accessories or luminaires, but not for the replacement of distribution boards or similar items."
A Consumer Unit is a Distribution Board that has been type tested, and is intended to be used by ordinary persons.
Whether you can get away with not notifying under Part P, I do not know. However an EIC would be the only acceptable type of certificate for the work.

Thanks to all.

I was never in any doubt about notifying - just which certificate to issue as it was 'like for like' replacement (shower unit there before) and whether shower unit is actually classed as consumer unit, i.e. is it a 'distribution board' with only one circuit?

Ah yes but did you not read the rest of the paragraph " or for new work assosiated with an addition or alteration to an existing installation" so yes it is an EIC

did you buy my old glasses off ebayfunnyglasses1.jpg

don't say that in my brb. just "for initial certification of a new installation or for an addition or alteration to an existing installationwhere new circiuts have been introduced"

Last Paragraph page 334 This certificate is intended to be issued only for a new electrical installation or for new work associated with an addition or alteration to an existing installation .
its Under the heading Electrical installation certificate ,guidance for recipients

Honest Tel thought i was going mad for a min , then realised im already mad

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, seen that. tucked away in guidance for recipients. more logical input from IEE.

Reply to Shower "CU" change in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net