Discuss Shower draw string power supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Martin Fowler

My showers draw string power supplys cord has stopped working luckily in the on position I opened the casing up and when I looked inside the brown live wire had a green kind of mouldy looking end and the insulation of the wire was blistered. Is this the sign of something more sinister I have just had the whole house rewired.

My showers draw string power supplys cord has stopped working luckily in the on position I opened the casing up and when I looked inside the brown live wire had a green kind of mouldy looking end and the insulation of the wire was blistered. Is this the sign of something more sinister I have just had the whole house rewired.

It's probably a sign of poorly terminated cables, get the electrician back that did the rewire.

most likely switch not installed correctly, its terminals not tight enough, got heated up and melted some insulation. get an electrician to fix it properly.

When you say the cables are terminated badly does that mean they aren't screwed into the socket tight enough? And if that's the case with the wire being to damaged now will he need to strip some of it back to repair? This electrician will hit return we didn't see eye to eye I am worries this is a sign of poor workmanship

When you say the cables are terminated badly does that mean they aren't screwed into the socket tight enough? And if that's the case with the wire being to damaged now will he need to strip some of it back to repair? This electrician will hit return we didn't see eye to eye I am worries this is a sign of poor workmanship

This is Déjà vu all over again.

He's probably used a nasty shower isolator rather than the 100% reliable Crabtree 50A switch - which are designed with the installer and customer in mind - meaning you can do the connections up tightly and properly and then walk away with a happy client!

Just to be 100% fair this is quite a common thing with shower pull-switches, sometimes despite the cables being well terminated and properly tightened the internal connections within the switch can go wrong creating a high resistance which inevitably generates heat and damages the cable insulation from the terminal outwards [usually just on one core], it shouldn't happen but IMO there are a few makes of 45a DP pull switch that aren't 'fit for purpose' particularly when a shower of 9kW or more is fitted - although they usually take a year or two to start playing up when correctly fitted. Is there another electrician in or near Albert Square who could replace it for you ? ;)

Just to be 100% fair this is quite a common thing with shower pull-switches, sometimes despite the cables being well terminated and properly tightened the internal connections within the switch can go wrong creating a high resistance which inevitably generates heat and damages the cable insulation from the terminal outwards [usually just on one core], it shouldn't happen but IMO there are a few makes of 45a DP pull switch that aren't 'fit for purpose' particularly when a shower of 9kW or more is fitted - although they usually take a year or two to start playing up when correctly fitted. Is there another electrician in or near Albert Square who could replace it for you ? ;)

It's not just shower pulls either . Tat is everywhere now.

one man's tat is another man's treasure.

Reply to Shower draw string power supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock