Discuss Shower feed wired in wrong in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

1stfix2ndfix

I was wondering if anyone can answer this one for me. I'm an electricians mate, I did ask the guy I'm with but he couldn't give me an answer.

So after he changed the board and I did the bonding I get to go round testing. Whilst taking the zs of the shower I noticed immediately upon removing the over that the feed had been wired up wrong. The live was with the live but the neutral from the feed was wired up to the earth terminal/cable in the shower and likewise the earth from the feed was wired up to the neutral terminal and cable of the shower. Now spotting this I asked the customer who had wired this up as they have done it wrong and I was told the fire fitter lol. She then asked me why it had worked and was still working. I didn't really have a answer and nor did the guy I'm with if I'm honest so I'm just wondering if anyone knows the answer to that one. Was it unsafe and were they just lucky. I felt a right idiot not knowing the answer but hopefully next time I'll be able to fill em with confidence in my response

A very lucky escape, if the shower had developed a earth fault there is a good chance the pipe work could become live or other class 2 equipment, also any spark working in the DB could have been at risk if they were working in the DB. I take it that there wasn't a RCD or RCBO fitted to the circuit befor the DB change?

The reason it would still work is there is still a return path via the earth cable rather than the neutral.

I'm guessing it was the person who fitted there fire lol but I could be wrong. Dillb cheers for the knowledge mate and yes Archie I agree but he didn't seem to so I thought if ask on here and I got a pretty good answer so I'm happy

What made it worse was the two screws supposed to hold the cover on at the top were missing and it could be pulled back a good couple of inches. Lucky indeed as it was a rewireable db originally

surely if a new board has gone in the shower will be on RCD. when you then switch the shower on , the RCD will trip as current will be flowing L - E , thereby causing a huge imbalance.

Can anyone give me an example of a earth fault on a shower. Eg rat gets into shower unit and chews through a cable

only way that would have been picked up is by opening the shower and doing a R1+R2 or just a R2. who does that for a board change?

That could not have happened as the first thing he does is to cut into the tails and pop a rcd in the middle. If this trips out we know we've got problems. So that is weird either he didn't do it (not likely) or there's something else as the feed coming in was Deffinenty wired up l-l n-e and e-n.

Reply to Shower feed wired in wrong in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock