Discuss Shower Installation 8kw to 8.5kw in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi

I have an 8.5kw shower which I wish to replace an 8kw shower with.
I'm not sure which thickness cable I already have but I think its 6mm. Will this be ok for the 8.5kw shower? I attach a pic of the current 8kw shower with cables

Shower Installation 8kw to 8.5kw 20180522_213748 - EletriciansForums.net

couple of points...
How is the cable installed... surrounded by insulation etc...
How long is the cable run?
Does the circuit have rcd protection back at the board?

Also im not fully 100% on the rules in scotland... but does the part p special locations apply up in scotland? if so you might need to get a suitable electrician in to do the actual connections and test it.

Most shower installation instructions ask for rcd protection on the circuit. Does your fuse board have rcds ?

Yes it does. Just not sure what the rating of the shower one is. A new board was put in about 5 years ago and I'm assuming all was ok for the 8kw shower we already have.

It will more than likely be a 32A mcb but im not sure is there not any markings or labels on your consumer unit saying shower as the ine above it will say the size on it, and if the cable is covered by insulation then i would say it is defiantly not sutable for a bigger size shower, i wouldnt even put the shower you have on a 6mm cable that is covered in insulation.

Hi - just a friendly reminder that those cables may be live and be a hazard to you. Even if you have turned off the circuit breaker it may not be wired right and so still be live. I always recheck with an approved 2 pole voltage tester to ensure its dead and not me :) . The cable should have its size written on it, as anything else is a guess from a pic.

It says on the mcb B40 so it is a 40A mcb and if it is actually 6mm and not 10mm then i hope it is not in insulation and is actually in free air or clipped direct as its called as any method other than clipped direct the current carrying capacity is to low for the MCB and too high for a 8.5kw shower, does it say on the cable the actual size, but please be carefull and dont poke around to much as it may give you a shock turn it off at the isolator first if you have not already

To be fair to the op he sounds quite reasonable and took time to reply and listen. And hopefully a local spark will help him out.
Hence the replies were good. If all the people coming on asking for advice were like him life on here would be dandy... sadly we get too many diyers wanting to save a few quid getting funny when told something they dont like.

Personally from the info supplied I think it will be fine, 8 mtrs of cable and it is 6mm2, can't see a problem with it handling 8.5 KW, now the 40 amp MCB? well it is there to protect the cable, can the 6mm2 cable cope with 40 amps? something for you new sparks to work out, we cannot tell you everything o_O

It doesn't need to. It only needs to cope with the load. The 40A circuit breaker only needs to provide adequate fault protection.
I know, but you were not supposed to say that, hence my post to the young sparks, now where is the "I'm angry an experienced spark has trashed my post emoji?"

Reply to Shower Installation 8kw to 8.5kw in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock