Discuss Shower interlock? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Colin33

-
Arms
Reaction score
About to do a consumer unit change and noticed that the 100a supply is feeding two electric showers. Clients say that the showers are not used simultaneously but may well be in the future. Does anyone know where to buy a 'non priority interlock' so that I can do this job properly and avoid any possible future problems? Mr. Google can't seem to find one :-(

What’s the total loading on the system, realistically? I think your just creating problems where non really exists.

Last edited by a moderator:
loads of new builds have 2 showers and a cooker ect as Tony says you seem to be finding problems that are unlikely to exist

agreed. anyway, the worst possible scenario is they'd have to have a cold shower and breakfast while waiting for DNO. not exactly life-threatening.

Two existing 10kw showers, will pull about 86A if used simultaneously. They haven't had problems in the past, but it's a big house which is being refurbished, including a garage to office conversion which will add extra load. While I'm at it, I wanted to make sure there's no future problems because if there is, no doubt it will be MY fault :) I've heard that the 'non priority interlocks' are expensive but I just wish to give the client the option....

tell the buggers to shower together.

Pulling 86A, the next biggest thing would be to have the cooker on with all bobs and grills a blazing. Worst case that's another 40a. All in all that is 126a + a little bit more. You'd have to run that all for a good hour or 2 before it trips out, I wouldn't worry mate ;)

I'm with the general comments that it shouldn't be a concern, but if you really want one Google 'ABB H-1122'

That finds links to ABB in Ireland, as well as a couple of previous threads on here on the same subject

Why not seperate them out onto a seperate board, with a suitable (say 63A) MCB feeding it from the main board? Worst case, they trip that MCB if both used simultaneously... though as others have said the 100A breaker *should* be up to the job, of course, that doesn't factor in anything else in the house like the cooker or fan heaters and so on...

Thanks for your comments guys... have now discovered that the electric oven is being replaced for a gas one, so feel a bit better about it now :) still interested to know where to get hold of a shower interlock should I need one at some point....

Reply to Shower interlock? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net