Discuss Shower isolation swiching in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Could any of you kind people clarify wether an isolator is required for an electric shower installation.
The manufacturers drawing shows one and quotes b.s. 7671 but I can't find anything in the rest
As a matter of fact I All ways fit one for safety reasons
Thank you in advanced

Don't forget to IR the circuit before you install the switch. I usually IR from the board to where the switch is going to be then from the switch to the shower itself.

Could any of you kind people clarify wether an isolator is required for an electric shower installation.
The manufacturers drawing shows one and quotes b.s. 7671 but I can't find anything in the rest
As a matter of fact I All ways fit one for safety reasons
Thank you in advanced

Well if the manufacturer recommends one be fitted, you'd be running foul of 134.1.1 and 5.10.3 if you didn't :)

Why IR test before completing the installation? You’ll only have to do it again once the installation has been completed.
I've always done it that way to avoid the neon in the switch messing with the results.

Maybe I'll get it in the neck but if the tests are OK, from board to switch, then from switch onwards to the shower itself then I'm happy. I prefer that to cross linking the L-N and then testing those two to E.

so do I. if i can be bothered. more important things on the go , such as some prince getting married to some yank bird who's father can't be arsed to come. AS IF. GGMS.

Ir should be done with All accessories in place and screwed back surely you can do phase neutral to earth to avoid the neon
At the end of the day, I feel that it's more important that the actual cabling is properly IR'd than the switch. I mean that's the whole point of the test surely?
Also, whilst L-N to CPC might be acceptable on an EICR (with an agreed limitation) it's not something I'd be happy with on initial verification.
At least doing it my way, you're going to be 100% sure the circuit hasn't been damaged during installation, and what are the chances you'll bugger it up just by adding the switch back in?
Answers on a postcard...

Yes to isolator, yes to isolate earth faults from RCD, yes for future maintenance. Triton & Mira companies will love you so their engineers don't have to walk when dealing with a faulty shower unit under guarantee (guarantee is invalid unless you follow their install instructions). PS don't forget water isolation nearby!

Reply to Shower isolation swiching in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net