Discuss Shower Isolator in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Brilec

Have to do a job next week that involves fitting new shower, cabling isolator and standalone shower CU, as unable to update old main CU. Question is they don't want a pull cord as an isolator, loft space is not really possible, they would like a switch for shower on wall by door, Inside the bathroom. This would be 2 metres away from shower and mounted aroundabout top of door height, having looked at the regs, it seems that this would be ok but would like others opinions

This is a case of changing times. At one time we wouldn't have dreamed of putting a regular DP switch in a bathroom, but now it is quite within the regs. At the end of the day, if you're satisfied that it is to BS 7671 then go for it. That's all that matters. I would personally put the switch outside if the punter will go for it, but that is just me being traditional I suppose.

I once in a really posh gaff wired the shower via a contactor and put in a celling PIR in the shower enclosure the shower controls were then left on and whenever the home owner entered the shower enclosure it just came on, we then put a second switch which isolated the shower for cleaning ect. This method doesn’t really comply with the regs for isolation but it was a smart idea.

WHY?
Inside the room outside of zones is perfectly within the regs.
Tin hat on!!
Any accessory installed must be suitable for the external influences to which it may be subjected, if a plate switch is indie a shower room and has large projections that may get wet (from condensation or spray) and drip water into the switch this would not be suitable; if the shower room is well ventilated and there is little chance of the switch getting sprayed or splashed and it is a smooth switch (outside of the zones) then it could be suitable.
Rather than asses the switch for suitability (possibly incorrectly) if there is a chance to place it outside the room where it will not get wet then this resolves the problem of being liable later if a shock is experienced.

I would put the switch out side of the room their are quite a few round here that are on the wall just out side the bathroom but not inside. But as you said their is nothing in the regs as long as it is out side the zone and ok for the condtions in the bathrroom.

I understand the principal of accessories being suitable for the external influences and that some people would use this as an argument against putting plate switches into bathrooms.
However if sockets can be installed when 3 mtrs or more from the bath/shower why does the extra distance so radically alter the external influences? Or perhaps condensation will only form within 2.9 mtrs, or less, of the bath/shower.
Obviously if the area one is considering installing a plate switch in could be subjected to water spray, under normal use conditions, then it would not be acceptable to install it there.

Thanks for all your replies, the main reason for not having pull cord is no access to roof space at all. will have a chat with them when I go to start the job on what has been mentioned here

WHY?
Inside the room outside of zones is perfectly within the regs.
Tin hat on!!

they change the regs like the weather and amendments so if its outside the room it will always comply, if inside the room it has a good chance it wont comply when amendments are done regs changed etc!! also its good practise

So long as the bathroom/shower room is well ventilated i can't see a problem with having the control switch inside the room. Same goes for socket outlets and switches, obviously using a little commonsense in there positioning. I think UK, is the only country that has this affliction with switches and outlets in bathrooms. lol!!!

So long as the bathroom/shower room is well ventilated i can't see a problem with having the control switch inside the room. Same goes for socket outlets and switches, obviously using a little commonsense in there positioning. I think UK, is the only country that has this affliction with switches and outlets in bathrooms. lol!!!

Totally agree. Of course, someone who's just had a shower and thus has lower body resistance wouldn't dream of walking out of the bathroom and turning the shower isolator off... They would wait until they had totally dried out.....

Reply to Shower Isolator in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net