Discuss Shower issue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi first post new member.. Hello everyone.. Diy question but not intending to diy..
A local firm fitted a new bathroom and installed a shower. They replaced the wire to the fuse box and added the unit to the old box as shown in the photo. There was a smell when I went in to the cupboard, and the B32 unit is quite hot to touch, and the wire is warm. I'm planning to upgrade the box anyway and hope to avoid replacing the wire otherwise all my new tiles will have to be replaced. What did they do wrong? BTW the kitchen firm have vanished!! Thanks. Shower issue DSC_0360.JPG - EletriciansForums.netShower issue DSC_0361.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

How far is the shower from the unit?.....any idea what route the cable takes? As Pete and Steve have said what kw is the shower and do you have any rcd protection?....if not I’m guessing you definitely haven’t been given any certification?

Hi first post new member.. Hello everyone.. Diy question but not intending to diy..
A local firm fitted a new bathroom and installed a shower. They replaced the wire to the fuse box and added the unit to the old box as shown in the photo. There was a smell when I went in to the cupboard, and the B32 unit is quite hot to touch, and the wire is warm. I'm planning to upgrade the box anyway and hope to avoid replacing the wire otherwise all my new tiles will have to be replaced. What did they do wrong? BTW the kitchen firm have vanished!! Thanks. View attachment 51259View attachment 51260
Thanks for replies.. It's a Mira Vie 9.5Kw. The cable is flat and there's no RCD...

How far is the shower from the unit?.....any idea what route the cable takes? As Pete and Steve have said what kw is the shower and do you have any rcd protection?....if not I’m guessing you definitely haven’t been given any certification?
There's no certification. The bathroom is directly above the cupboard so I'm guessing five or six meters assuming it wasn't rerouted but I can't see why they would have needed to. Should I open the shower and check or tighten the electrical connections. Switch mains off obviously...

Thanks for replies.. It's a Mira Vie 9.5Kw. The cable is flat and there's no RCD...
At 24lV that will be drawing approx. 39 Amps, the MCB @32 Amps is hardly suitable and the cable looks from the picture you provided far to small, RCD protection is a must, how long ago was it fitted, what information is recorded on the certificate, does the Company that installed the Shower belong to any Professional body NICEIC as an example? call them back with your concerns

There's no certification. The bathroom is directly above the cupboard so I'm guessing five or six meters assuming it wasn't rerouted but I can't see why they would have needed to. Should I open the shower and check or tighten the electrical connections. Switch mains off obviously...
Wouldn’t recommend opening the shower unit mate unless you are competent and understand safe isolation procedures....as @Pete999 mentions above the 32mcb is undersized, but hard to see the cable size from the picture, and if there is no rcd protection there should be as they’ve run a new circuit to a special locatation, I’d contact the installers and take it from there

The reason for the OCPD heating is because it is working at its Max, as well as being to small, checking the tightness of the connections should be done by an Electrician, your options are call the Company back with your concerns, or shell out for an inspection by a qualified Electrician and send the company a copy, specifying that you intend to take this matter up with Trading Standards, see what reaction provokes.
Companies name wasn't "Bodget and Scarper", by any chance?

Is there any writing on the cable signifying a size? ie 4 + 1.5 (which is what I think it is) or 6 + 2.5?
The larger number being the live conductors and the smaller being the cpc (earth wire)

Very doubtful there is any certification or scheme membership here, and as you state in OP, the company has vanished....

I'm afraid it a case involving a certain creek and zero number of paddles

If we can work out the size of the cable, then we can maybe advise changing the shower to something less powerful. Or replacing the cable, which is near impossible now if its tiled in.

The lack of RCD will be sorted when you upgrade the consumer unit, and please this needs done asap. In the meantime, using the shower as it is could damage the cable.
As above. Have it tested by another spark.

Keep us informed

total bung it in - as long as it works, cash in arse pocket, do a runner.

Unfortunately the company have closed down. They never left any certificates for
The reason for the OCPD heating is because it is working at its Max, as well as being to small, checking the tightness of the connections should be done by an Electrician, your options are call the Company back with your concerns, or shell out for an inspection by a qualified Electrician and send the company a copy, specifying that you intend to take this matter up with Trading Standards, see what reaction provokes.
Companies name wasn't "Bodget and Scarper", by any chance?
Brilliant.. Yes that's exactly their name.. Luckily I was planning to get that entire mains fuse box replaced anyway so I'm hoping that the wire will be adequate. It's a solid looking piece of cable as thick as my little finger and flat. The unit it attaches to is simply the wrong rating?

Looks like a botch job. Call them back to rectify or refund.
Nice idea but without Independent Technical proof it will be hard to substantiate.

Unfortunately the company have closed down. They never left any certificates for

Brilliant.. Yes that's exactly their name.. Luckily I was planning to get that entire mains fuse box replaced anyway so I'm hoping that the wire will be adequate. It's a solid looking piece of cable as thick as my little finger and flat. The unit it attaches to is simply the wrong rating?
RCD Protection is not something you should leave till later, it should have been installed as part of the Bathroom installation, the wire as you call it looks inadequate from where I'm sitting, needs sorting as a matter of urgency, not scaremongering, just saying as I see it, along with others so it seems.

Is there any writing on the cable signifying a size? ie 4 + 1.5 (which is what I think it is) or 6 + 2.5?
The larger number being the live conductors and the smaller being the cpc (earth wire)

Very doubtful there is any certification or scheme membership here, and as you state in OP, the company has vanished....

I'm afraid it a case involving a certain creek and zero number of paddles

If we can work out the size of the cable, then we can maybe advise changing the shower to something less powerful. Or replacing the cable, which is near impossible now if its tiled in.

The lack of RCD will be sorted when you upgrade the consumer unit, and please this needs done asap. In the meantime, using the shower as it is could damage the cable.
As above. Have it tested by another spark.

Keep us informed
Thanks for all your replies. I can't see any writing on the cable but I guess if with the new box there is no heating it may be adequate cabling? I am ringing round electricians.. I will get back to you with the outcome!

Thanks for all your replies. I can't see any writing on the cable but I guess if with the new box there is no heating it may be adequate cabling? I am ringing round electricians.. I will get back to you with the outcome!
Remember if you pay for an inspection, and inadequacies and faults are found to be substantiated, claim back the amount the Electrician charged for the inspection, might need to go the legal route on this visa a Solicitor, more expense I'm afraid, but a sympathetic Judge should award you costs, don't let this go stick to your guns people that do this want/need to be taken to task, good luck

Reply to Shower issue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock