Discuss Shower Issue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Englishman

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Went to a job today as a follow on from another sparks on our firm. Was a "fishy smell" reported, and was advised that the cable was undersized.

Get there today and find a 6mm cable, 40a MCB and 9.5kw shower; and this in the isolater...

Shower Issue {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Now, the supply voltage is 242, the cable run goes from the board, up to the first floor in a piece of conduit in the wall (reference method A) which rates at 34a, and then up a void behind the shower, clipped direct (reference method which rates the cable at 47a.

Obviously the cable at the lowest part (bit going through conduit) is carrying 39.25a; which is greater than 34a, and they're sending me back to put a 10mm supply in tomorrow. My argument is that the damage to the cable has been caused by a loose neutral at the isolater and that although the cable is undersized, it's not massively bad and probably wouldn't cause a huge amount of issues if the shower was run normally.

Opinions please boys....

Burning is only on the neutral term, so defo down to a poor neutral termination. You've been told to replace, so you should. However, I doubt it draws its rated max load in use!

Burning is only on the neutral term, so defo down to a poor neutral termination. You've been told to replace, so you should. However, I doubt it draws its rated max load in use!

I'd just replace switch if it were me, the damage was caused by loose termination. They run for such a short time, in reality 6mm will never be a problem. There are plenty of 9.5kw showers on 32A MCB's.

Borderline, depending on applied derating, 6mm is good to 40A CCC before derating...depends how where it's run....putty they don't do 35A breakers ... bet it would hold!

Personally always advise customers to leave switch in the on position on the isolator which stops the wear and tear...whether or not they listen to me is another thing

I go with that Dave

I know it's the loose neutral which has caused the issue that I responded to.

What I'm referring to the forum is how much it actually needs to be changed. And how much of an issue would be caused by leaving it.

I would say it might not be a loose neutral connection. The other possibility is the pull cord itself is at fault. I have replaced 4 GET 45amp pullcords in this last week. All looked identical to that in the picture. I do a lot of maintenance for an estate agent and the most of the calls I get are showers and 9/10 its the pullcord. Try a different make as well as insuring all terminations are tight.

As I wrote in the first post, I know that the problem is at the isolator.

What I want discussed is the cable suitability. The only part where it doesn't comply is the metre drop down to the CU. Would you leave the cable and mcb, downrare the mcb or just rewire.

Highly likely I'll have to rewire tomorrow but I just think it's unnecessary.

Will a 10mm twin fit up the conduit? They are quite large by twin and earth standards. I've changed them too in the past, I think it doesn't help that they get twisted all over the show to get them to fit back if someone has fitted a box that's too shallow and it loosens the connections slightly

Is the conduit buried in an insulated wall? If not I can't see where the lower rating has come from. Method C rating according to BGB is 47A.
If it's in the wall or buried in a normal masonry wall then would it not be method C?

Isn't there? Consider installation methods 58 and 60, look up the relevant tables and make an informed decision.
There isn't a rating for t&e in conduit in a masonry wall but there is one for it in capping/oval conduit and another for 70degree sheathed cables so use that info to aid you in deciding what rating is appropriate.
Not forgetting the BGB is not gospel but a non-statutory British standard.

Reply to Shower Issue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock