Discuss Shower - Neon light flickering when switched off at isolator in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

DPG

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Hi all.

Upgraded an old Wylex single fusebox for a combined RCD/MCB unit today, also replaced the pull-cord switch as it was approx 15 years old and was getting warm after a few minutes use.

Anyway, all good - shower working, isolator working. Only thing is when they went in the bathroom later with the light off (I know, don't ask!) they said the neon 'power' light on the shower unit itself was lit even though the pull-cord was off. They did say it was definately dimmer than when the pull-cord is switched on.

When I tested it the neon definately went on and off when the isolator was operated, but obviously I didnt check it in the dark.

Now, I reckon this is probably inductive pick-up but would like to hear other people's opinions on this. It may be that it did it before I changed the switch today, but they never noticed it?

Any thoughts?
Cheers, Daz.

Just to clarify, in line 3: the neon in the isolator goes on and off when the isolator is operated, but the neon in the shower itself doesn't go fully off when the isolator is off.

DIfficult to get into clear words!

Cheers, Daz.

Start with the basics, inspection and then test I assume you've already done that for the circuit up to the shower isolator by virtue of having changed the CU. So test the load side of the isolator and confirm it's completely dead when isolated, they have been known to allow current flow when isolated. Then move on to the shower unit and check that (with the isolator off), the neon won't glow without a PD, so it's there somewhere providing a current :)

Possibly a crossed connection in the isolator...eg L-OUT and L-IN crossed. In effect you would get a leakage path between the incoming line and the outgoing neutral, through the isolator's neon and the 270k-Ohm resistor. This would then flow through the "Mains ON" neon and resistor in the shower itself, the stray capacitance between line and earth of the cable between the isolator and shower effectively making up the circuit.

Simon.

WDMDL - spot on! Just checked it now and it was crossed wires, how embarassing. Obviously wasn't as careful there as I should have been.

To be fair, the way the cables were formed coming through the ceiling, the live from the incomer looked like it was coming straight from the sheath of the shower cable. I know this doesn't excuse it and I obviously wan't taking enough care on this one.

Daz

Reply to Shower - Neon light flickering when switched off at isolator in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock