Discuss shower on 6mm for future in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
i was asked to pull in a shower cable and leave in wall for future as customer has been roked into other work, so makes sense now as they have the room.

9.5kw shower on 6mm is fine according to osg upto 43m on ref method c. i only have an 8m run and is in rafters with kingspan but kingspan wont be touching it. it has 150mm rafter with only 100mm kingspan..
so at least a 50mm gap around cable
i said its dead on for 8.5kw shower but i do think 9,5 will be fine aswell.

thoughts

Richard has used the Ia value for the breaker (200A) which would cause the breaker to operate in 0.1secs.

S = √(I² x t) ÷ k
S = √(200² x 0.1) ÷ 115 = 0.55

However the correct value to use is the actual fault current that could flow in the event of a fault (Ipf = Uo ÷ Zs) which could be a lot higher if the Zs is low enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stick 10mm in and you will definitely be ok for the future. It may be a bit of a git to get into switch terms but it won't burn if it gets covered.

mmm tadpole wellington. makes a change from beef.

still cant get me adibiatic right for this shower.. its a tn-c-s so say max of 0.35 ohms and its 10m max so say 0.45 as calculated zs = 511A

511 x 511 = 261121 x 5 = 1305605 / 115 =11353 and the square root off 11353 = 106 which is wrong.

Reply to shower on 6mm for future in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello guys n gals, Did n EICR other week in a flat where the shower circuit was 40A mcb with RCD protection, 6mm cable. Only about 10M run. The...
Replies
Views
Saw this thread in the DIY forum but can't respond and i have a question: Everyone seems to be going mad in the thread suggesting it's dangerous...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Victron Multiplus-II 5kVA inverter/charger with Pylontech US5000 batteries installed in my house along with a 6.8kWp PV array and...
Replies
Views
Hi We recently had an 7kW EV charger installed. Due to the consumer unit being situation within the kitchen of our bungalow, the cable needed to...
Replies
Views
Just been to another one of those !! Plumber replaces shower for upgraded version. 40A mcb replaces 32A. No problem mate !! that will work fine...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock