Discuss Shower 'ON/OFF' Switch Not Flicking To On in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

JXCKWIDOW

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently noticed that our shower isn't working, and that the socket to power the shower (located just outside of the bathroom) doesn't flick on, it stops halfway - so you can have it 'OFF' or halfway to 'ON'.. it won't fully click and give it power. Pics attached. Anyone have any ideas?

I also noticed that the dials on the shower seem to be sticking out/protruding since I noticed the socket is not functioning properly - coincidence?

Attachments

• Shower 'ON/OFF' Switch Not Flicking To On Screenshot 2020-09-07 at 11.45.56 - EletriciansForums.net
    Screenshot 2020-09-07 at 11.45.56.png
    606 KB · Views: 18
  • Shower 'ON/OFF' Switch Not Flicking To On Screenshot 2020-09-07 at 11.46.23 - EletriciansForums.net
    Screenshot 2020-09-07 at 11.46.23.png
    606.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Shower 'ON/OFF' Switch Not Flicking To On Screenshot 2020-09-07 at 11.46.09 - EletriciansForums.net
    Screenshot 2020-09-07 at 11.46.09.png
    763.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Shower 'ON/OFF' Switch Not Flicking To On Screenshot 2020-09-07 at 11.46.16 - EletriciansForums.net
    Screenshot 2020-09-07 at 11.46.16.png
    589 KB · Views: 15
looks like switch contacts have welded in the ON position. new switch required. preferably a good quality item, not something cheap. obviously, if you feel competent, isolate at CU and replace switch. after tightening terminals, rag it about, then re-tighten. if not, it's a 30 minute job for a local sparks ( assuming RCD in place and a few other criteria).

Last edited by a moderator:
The switch may have been damaged through overheating due to loose connections; this is a common problem with shower switches. If this has happened, there is a chance that the ends of the cables will also be damaged and require remedial work. Spare no effort to ensure this is done properly, because fitting corroded / oxidised cable ends into the new switch will result in high-resistance connections that will damage it in exactly the same way as this one.

If the shower housing or controls are not properly fitted there is a risk of water ingress and further damage or electric shock. This should be checked carefully but is unlikely to be related to the switch problem.

An electric shower uses lots of power. The switch will have lots of current going through it and sometimes get hot, I often come across burnt out terminals inside.
I would not suggest fixing it yourself as the new switch needs to have the cables screwed into it to the right torque (not too tight, not too loose) otherwise it may get thermal damge.
As Telectrix said this is a simple job and will not take long so it makes sense to get an electrician to do it.

Reply to Shower 'ON/OFF' Switch Not Flicking To On in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock