Discuss Shower pull cord burning out in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

bigbaddave

I have been called back to a job where the pull cord is yet again not working. This is the sencond time they have had this fault.. Take the fitting down and the whole inside is a melted mess.. Now the shower is a 8.5kw fed on 10mm twin and earth on a 32a mcb. Install method B,

I have tested R1 + R2 and then R1 + and both exactly the same 0.07 which would tie in with the cable run. This is tested to the shower through the pull cord. ZS at shower = 0.50 (Testing with Metrel and thats the lowest reading on Loop)

Now i put the first one down do naff fitting but now im not to sure.. Has anyone else has issues with this.

Any idears fella's ?

try the crabtree 50A pull switch, and make sure the connections are tight. with 10mm there's a lot of strain put on the cables when you force them into that silly little patress that's designed for a mx. of 6mm.

Without a doubt, it's down to the connections mate. If using one which has to be pushed into place, make sure you push it up, then drop it back to re-tighten.
Your best bet is to use the Crabtree, as Tel suggests. This has a "wireable" base, then the lid simply screws on.

you have to be a lunatic to take 10mm to a ceiling switch ,
always wall box for me if bigger than 6mm.

Amen to that. I chuffing hate 10mm.

If a shower is protected by a clearly identifiable accessible double-pole RCD (which it will be to be compliant with current Regs), do you actually need a shower switch? (Reference to relevant Reg(s) appreciated.)

I mean if the RCD in question is dedicated solely to the shower.

Weird. I was thinking the other day it always seem to be neutral connections that burn out. Can't think of a reason as the IxR voltage drop is purely a matter of current passing through the joint, not voltage at the joint relative to earth.

Reply to Shower pull cord burning out in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock