Discuss Shower pump power work/alterations in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Afternoon to all!

I have to replace my current shower pump as it's on the way out, it's loud at the best of times so I have taken the opportunity to replace with a quieter unit but my problem is it's a different make and as a result the power supply is also different, the new pump comes with a mains plug and the old or current pump is wired directly from the pump to the 5a spur.

So my question is can I just replace/rewire the spur faceplate for a standard switch socket?

Many thanks, sparky gods

Old pump: Boss 10036501
New Pump: Salamander CTForce 15

You could do, but you would need to check the wiring out to confirm it's OK, you easist way is to cut the plug top off and connect your new pump directly into the spur, of course this may invalidate the warranty of the pump.

Thanks Pete, it did cross my mind initially but I binned the idea after reading the manual online and it said it huge red letters not to do it and it would as you say, warranty void.

So warranty aspect aside it's perfectly OK to wire into the spur with the pump having its own built in fuse too?

Thanks Pete, it did cross my mind initially but I binned the idea after reading the manual online and it said it huge red letters not to do it and it would as you say, warranty void.

So warranty aspect aside it's perfectly OK to wire into the spur with the pump having its own built in fuse too?
Providing the fused spur has the correct size fuse yes it's OK what size fuse is in the plug top? transfer that to the fused spur and all OK, do the instructions mention what size fuse should be used? when you say it's own buit in fuse, are you referring to the plugtop fuse?

Yeah, that's correct, at the minute the spur has a 5A fuse in it for the current pump, the new pump data sheet/instructions 3A.

Understood, the 3A plug fuse would go into the spur in place of the current 5A.

I guess it's just a question if I want to take my chances and void the warranty now! thanks

I'm going out on limb here, but if the OP is competent enough to remove an FCU to attach the flex from the pump, could ne be competent enough to replace the FCU faceplate, with a single switched socket and not worry about invalidating the pump warranty?

I'm going out on limb here, but if the OP is competent enough to remove an FCU to attach the flex from the pump, could ne be competent enough to replace the FCU faceplate, with a single switched socket and not worry about invalidating the pump warranty?
The OP would need some knowledge of testing and have some experience in installation methods, to ensure the existing spur has been wired correctly and conforms to BS 7671, he has no qualifications, I only suggested the connection unit option as it would be the easiest and most cost effective method of connecting the pump, other than the warranty issue, but yes your point is very valid.

Personally I think if challenged the 'you cut the plug off so your warranty is void' argument wouldn't hold much weight. It annoys me that manufacturers put the frighteners on people in that way because cutting the plug off isn't changing any parts of the pump that are likely to fail under normal use, it's just connecting it to the fixed wiring installation.

Rant over :)

trouble with these manufacturers mouldy plugs is that you can't see if it's wired correctly.

Personally I think if challenged the 'you cut the plug off so your warranty is void' argument wouldn't hold much weight. It annoys me that manufacturers put the frighteners on people in that way because cutting the plug off isn't changing any parts of the pump that are likely to fail under normal use, it's just connecting it to the fixed wiring installation.

Rant over :)

The problem in this case, is it explicitly states not to do that. So when it packs up 1 day before the warranty expires, and it takes back to the retailer, he'll get the 'Ohhh, you've cut the plug off. What a shame' routine. :(

i'm with midwest on this. as long as the FCU wiring is compliant, swap it for a single socket.

The problem in this case, is it explicitly states not to do that. So when it packs up 1 day before the warranty expires, and it takes back to the retailer, he'll get the 'Ohhh, you've cut the plug off. What a shame' routine. :(

I know and it makes me :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Tell them you had to cut the plug off to fit it in the car:)

what's he got, a gee wiz?

Reply to Shower pump power work/alterations in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock