Discuss Shower Pump in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SimpleSimon

Evening gents

I just have something I wish to confirm.
Went today to look at shower pump which was faulty. I took the shower head off, to make sure it wasn't limescale but still poor water pressure, checked filter all fine and all connections fine too so pump obviously knackered.
Im going back to change the pump next Wednesday in an exact like for like.
There is no RCD protection on the circuit but all bonding is in place.
Oh and the pump is located under the bathtub with a switched FCU outside the bathroom.

When I go back next week, the pump under the bath is outside of zone because the panel to get behind the tub is accesed with a screwdriver. Would I still need to notify beucause it's in the bathroom? As a like for like change would it be issuing a MWC?

RCD- I was thinking of replacing the switched FCU with a 13a 30ma RCD switched spur, would this be acceptable as the customer doesn't want to pay for a whole board change to add RCDs at the start.

Your thoughts and advice as always guys will be appreciated.

Simon :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a like for like replacement so does not need to be notified - this applies to any where. The sup bond must be refitted if removed. You can fit the RCD spur then then you have changed the circuit protection (for the better) but you should then notify building control.
Jimbo

Just an idea about the pump, maybe check to see if theirs a pressure regulated bypass fitted between the suction and discharge sides. If there is it could be the cause of low discharge pressure.

Just an idea about the pump, maybe check to see if theirs a pressure regulated bypass fitted between the suction and discharge sides. If there is it could be the cause of low discharge pressure.

Would it be a knob sitting on top of the pump? If so, checked that and not a dickie bird.

Even though it's a like for like replacement I would issue the customer a MEIWC, always looks more professional and it reminds them of you for any future work.

Though the work is in a special location and you change the existing FCU to a RCD FCU I still don't think it is notifiable. Part P quote

"re-fixing or replacing enclosures of existing
installation components, 'where the circuit
protective measures are unaffected;"

As your not changing the circuits protective measures just the local FCU. I suppose it's another grey area, if your part of a scheme then yes send it off as per normal. if your not then personally I would not be contacting the LABC about this. That is just IMO.

Reply to Shower Pump in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net