Discuss Shower pump in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

coachincolin

Plumber has asked me to run cable for a shower pump. It has a 13a plug on the pump. He wants it installed in the bathroom for the new power shower. I have checked the regs and I can't see how this can be installed to comply with BS7671. It would not be 3m away from the edge of the shower tray. It would need a socket installed and this is prohibited.

Think you need to talk to your plumber "mate".

Where is the pump going? where is the cable going? and whilst others have suggested a socket under the bath, I would steer away from that and try and place a S FCU "outside" the bathroom so the point is accessible and visible.

There is no bath going in. The bathroom is being fitted with a power shower cubicle that has a steam generator as well. I think he was just going to box it in but it wouldn't be behind the shower panels. The shower and pump will be on a new circuit with an rcd

I don't think the plumber has thought it all through. I am not sure if he has installed anything like this before. I had thought everything would be connected up in the loft above the bathroom so there would not have been any issues. It's a bathroom refit for a client.

Then when he connects it himself nothing complies with the regs or he hurts someone. No need to refuse the work. If you know what you're talking about then steer him in the direction you want him to go, Called working Together. Why not hard wire the pump into a switch fused connection unit outside of zones, or if not possible go down the increased ip rating route with your materials.

work together with a plumber?!! seriously, it's like the battle of the sex's, he needs to comply to the regs or we shouldn't get involved, it won't be the sparks fault if something happens, he has told the plumber, but as usual I expect he won't listen, don't forget they disconnect our clamps regulary and don't stick them back on, work together lmao

Wasn't sure if I could install it in an ip66 box as it would still be within 3m of the shower tray

A SFCU is not a socket outlet, so yes you can.

IPX4 for zone 1 and 2
IPX5 if it's installed anywhere prone to water jets (which is pretty much going to be zone 1)
And if you wish to install the spur in zone 0 (in the shower tray itself), IPX7

It would be pretty hard to find an IP67 SFCU though :D

Personally however, if I was installing a spur in a bath or shower room, it would be IP66 wherever it was sighted.

Last edited:
There are differing opinions regarding this issue.
Some would consider that as the enclosed space beneath a bath or shower that is only accessible by use of a tool, is outside of the zones, it is perfectly acceptable to install a socket in such a space.
At the same time those same people would consider a socket inside a boxed in enclosure elswhere in a bath/shower room to be unaccceptable, unless it is 3m from the bath or shower.
To my mind, in order to comply with the Regulations as written, a socket would have to be more than 3m from the bath or shower, whether it be accessible by use of a tool or otherwise.
However the use of an FCU switched or otherwise would comply, and if installed in an area which is considered outside of the zones, for instance in a space under a bath or shower that is only accessible by use of a tool, it would not be required to be IP44 or higher.

if installed in an area which is considered outside of the zones, for instance in a space under a bath or shower that is only accessible by use of a tool, it would not be required to be IP44 or higher.

It would only need to be IP2X.

How's that for teaching you how to suck eggs Spin! :D

only accessible by use of a tool,

should not be accessible by a plumber. :seeya:

I wouldn't trust a plumber to put a plaster on a cut, anyone can install a cold feed to a shower and remove earth clamps without any consideration to the householder haha

Last edited by a moderator:
It would only need to be IP2X.

How's that for teaching you how to suck eggs Spin! :D

I know your just having some fun with spinlondon, however joking aside, whats required and what is good practice are 2 different things fella, the bathroom regs are not amusing IMO, how about removing all zones and having low voltage only in a bathroom, zone 1 and 2 etc is total rollocks, and lets include installing remote low voltage shower switches only, about time 230 volt showers were banned IMO, several shower manufacturers are sponsors or supporters to the IEE im sure. :earmuffs:

I know your just having some fun with spinlondon, however joking aside, whats required and what is good practice are 2 different things fella, the bathroom regs are not amusing IMO

Hence why if you look at one of my earlier posts, you will see that I said:

Personally however, if I was installing a spur in a bath or shower room, it would be IP66 wherever it was sighted.

Reply to Shower pump in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net