Discuss Shower shocker in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

James Sutton

Hello All

Was asked by a mate to take a look at his shower in a flat that he rents.

He is in the shower for around 10 mins the the 4OA mcb trips and gets a strong smell of burning.

I opened up the 45A DP pullcord everything was ok there all connections tight. It had what appeared to be a 10mm flat twin and earth(grey). Went down to the CU and there was a white cable. Further investigation found that in the loft space they had joined both cable using 32A connector block which was completed melted. I LOTO the shower circuit and said for him to contact his landlords.

Who does work like this its a shocker

JS

Think wago's only go up to 20A. You'd have to use two of them ;) (only joking kids, don't try this at home). BTW your lucky to have 10mm in the cu, normally landlords just spur from the ring.
i was joking, paul. really meant to say croc clips

This problem is getting more common a company who specilises in fitting showers installed a 8.5kw shower to an existing what they thoght was a 40A RCD supply pitty they never noticed the 32A CB supplying the 40A plus the 6mm cable supply as well. They returned and fitted a 7.5kw shower. Now this is a so called proffesional mob what chance is there when joe public is "upgrading" his pidley to a more powerfull unit.

Why do poeple think it's ok to do crap like this.......probably the landlord himself that did it!!

the old mentality of "it works what`s wrong with it"
they should keep their stickies off them and get someone in that knows what they are doing

Think wago's only go up to 20A. You'd have to use two of them ;) (only joking kids, don't try this at home). BTW your lucky to have 10mm in the cu, normally landlords just spur from the ring.

Seen it! recently at my best mates house. Sheepishly asked if I could have a look as there was a burning smell and then a loud bang and now nothing works upstairs (tell tale sign....)

Turns out the upstairs 2.5mm2 radial was running ..... that and the immersion , and the 10.8kW shower. The explosion was a jb under the hall floor that grenaded, His house was nearly a statistic.

Ended up 1/2 rewiring it up the outside in black condo and through the loft, 3 new circuits :D Obviously was for best mate so no charge, just materials!

Seen it! recently at my best mates house. Sheepishly asked if I could have a look as there was a burning smell and then a loud bang and now nothing works upstairs (tell tale sign....)

Turns out the upstairs 2.5mm2 radial was running ..... that and the immersion , and the 10.8kW shower. The explosion was a jb under the hall floor that grenaded, His house was nearly a statistic.

Ended up 1/2 rewiring it up the outside in black condo and through the loft, 3 new circuits :D Obviously was for best mate so no charge, just materials!

WOW! shocking!

I think its quite bad practise for you guys to talk about just twisting wires together and taping it.........................................without mentioning the fact when it gets really hot the copper will melt forming a permanent welded joint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lololol

Sounds like the same mob who were let loose on our house.
House belonged to my parents before and when dad became disabled they had a downstairs shower room installed which involved downsizing the kitchen.

So far i have found, boiler on a socket that is spurred from the ring, not so bad if they had used a JB but no seemingly a 5a choc is is.
fridge spur butch the same but without the choc, obviously ran out of them so it was ok to just twist them together and put inside a plastic bag, yep not even any tape around the twised condustors.
10mm cooker supply twisted to a 6mm cable, i honestly think it would of been quicker to do it properly thn to twist those together.
Needless to say it ias all disconnected now.

What really annoys me is that my father was a sparks aswell but he was too ill to look at the work being done at the time.

Reply to Shower shocker in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net