Discuss Shower with 2.5mm cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi

Today I looked at a bathroom to do a renovation and noticed it had an electric shower with a 2.5mm T&E powered from a 13A FCU

Apparently this was tested and a cert was issued by an NICEIC electrician last month.

I'm relatively new to this but would have thought it would need to be at least 6mm up to 7.5Kw and 10mm for 8.5Kw

I can't think of any reason why anyone would fit it with a 13A FCU and 2.5mm cable?

Have I missed something?

You are right, you must be relatively new if you are applying cable sizes to showers as a rule of thumb without taking into account any other factors concerning the circuit.

What was the rating of the shower in question ? Was it perchance a power shower ?

If the shower loading is as you say then it certainly doesn't comply with standard design rules.

I remember looking at a job where the woman had a new electric shower fitted as a replacement. Her granddaughter hopped into it and was showering quite happily for 3/4 hr until the BS3036 fuse blew.

It is possible to run this sort of set up for a few minutes without a disaster, run it for any longer and its goodnight BS1362 fuse, up-rate the fuse to a bolt and its goodnight house wiring and possibly the house.

You are right, you must be relatively new if you are applying cable sizes to showers as a rule of thumb without taking into account any other factors concerning the circuit.

What was the rating of the shower in question ? Was it perchance a power shower ?
Shootgun.lol

Well as I am not changing the shower out and only doing the bathroom renovation I did not go through the whole circuit as I was not overally interested in it as I won't be touching it. I just wondered why somebody would do that.

Well as I am not changing the shower out and only doing the bathroom renovation I did not go through the whole circuit as I was not overally interested in it as I won't be touching it. I just wondered why somebody would do that.

Someone would do that if it was a power shower. Surely if you were concerned that is the first thing you would check ? You were overly interested enough to check the cable size.

Someone would do that if it was a power shower. Surely if you were concerned that is the first thing you would check ? You were overly interested enough to check the cable size.
I looked in the airing cupboard behind the shower noticed an FCU with the words "SHOWER" on it it with a 2.5mm cable. Was not much more then that. Customer was short on time it was a quick look and see with another visit later in the week. I'll take the cover off then and can see what the shower is.
Is that ok with you as you do seem to jump on everything I post and have a dig.

I looked in the airing cupboard behind the shower noticed an FCU with the words "SHOWER" on it it with a 2.5mm cable. Was not much more then that. Customer was short on time it was a quick look and see with another visit later in the week. I'll take the cover off then and can see what the shower is.
Is that ok with you as you do seem to jump on everything I post and have a dig.

I'm not having a dig man. You need to be sure about things if you think a customer is potentially at risk or has been the subject of a dodgy install though. If you think it is worth checking you should, especially if you think it presents a danger. That's my opinion anyway.

I'm not having a dig man. You need to be sure about things if you think a customer is potentially at risk or has been the subject of a dodgy install though. If you think it is worth checking you should, especially if you think it presents a danger. That's my opinion anyway.
Thats why I asked on here as you guys have the experience and knowledge. I've done loads of bathrooms just never come across that particular setup before. Most people have pumps which I normally fit in to their system as it can cover all their outputs rather then just one shower.
Thanks for the advice

Just for clarification I'm not saying it is a power shower, I'm saying proper inspection could clarify whether it is or it isn't.

Just for clarification I'm not saying it is a power shower, I'm saying proper inspection could clarify whether it is or it isn't.
I have found the model and max power consumption is 150watt and min cable size is 1mm and max 2.5mm and is indeed a power shower thermostatic model. Should have a 3amp fuse but been installed with a 13amp

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

De

Definately a power shower without even knowing the make or model...logic says a 13a fuse would not hold on a 6,7,9 kw shower..step back and think

De

Definately a power shower without even knowing the make or model...logic says a 13a fuse would not hold on a 6,7,9 kw shower..step back and think

I assumed a power shower but try not to assume too much, like the possibility of the FCU being connected solely on the supply side bypassing the fuse. I've seen too many lash ups and read too many threads with limited information provided to assume everything.

De

Yes when you put it like that should have known better, roughly 4.3A for 1Kw would never have worked with a 6Kw shower or higher.
Like I said I am new to it all, its not my core business but seem to be coming into contact with the electrics more often and keen to learn and develop my knowledge a little more.

Yes when you put it like that should have known better, roughly 4.3A for 1Kw would never have worked with a 6Kw shower or higher.
Like I said I am new to it all, its not my core business but seem to be coming into contact with the electrics more often and keen to learn and develop my knowledge a little more.
No tempted to have a little dabble then? What is your contribution to this bathroom renovation, as a matter of interest.

No tempted to have a little dabble then? What is your contribution to this bathroom renovation, as a matter of interest.

Bath, shower, basin, toilet out. remove tiles, re-plaster, re-tile walls and floor refit new suite with current shower reused.

As for electrical all I have to do is disconnect the current shower,refit same shower once tiling completed

I did a load of courses earlier this year in electrical stuff which got poo poo'd by a number of guys on here as they were not time served apprenticeships and don't mean anything and a waste of money. Personally they were ok for the theory and testing but the practical experience was very limited. Thats the problem with a number of the courses you just do not pick up the hands on experience you need to progress.

Tbh Bear, electrical installation, repair etc is not something which a few "courses" will allow/prepare you to dabble in. What they do encourage, is people to do exactly that....dabble. "It works, so it must be ok". I'm not dissing you, it's just that its is not a profession for amateurs. Having a go tiling or painting or a bit of joinery is unlikely to kill someone or lead to a fire, but electrical work done poorly or by untrained people can and does.

Reply to Shower with 2.5mm cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock