Discuss Shunted? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

james2

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm doing a simple fluorescent to LED retrofit, looking for confirmation on whether the tombstones are shunted or not. I'm seeing instructions to use a multimeter on continuity mode to check the circuit and verify. All I have is a simple analog voltmeter (photo below), which isn't registering an open circuit when I test it, but I'm wondering if that's sufficient to tell me if it's shunted or not, or if I need to get a more sophisticated multimeter for that? Also including photos of the tombstones in case it's immediately obvious to anyone from the visual. Thank you!

Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 12.49.08 PM.png
IMG_2692.JPGIMG_2691.JPG

Hi all, I'm doing a simple fluorescent to LED retrofit, looking for confirmation on whether the tombstones are shunted or not. I'm seeing instructions to use a multimeter on continuity mode to check the circuit and verify. All I have is a simple analog voltmeter (photo below), which isn't registering an open circuit when I test it, but I'm wondering if that's sufficient to tell me if it's shunted or not, or if I need to get a more sophisticated multimeter for that? Also including photos of the tombstones in case it's immediately obvious to anyone from the visual. Thank you!

View attachment 62684
View attachment 62680View attachment 62683
The meter you have appears to only measure voltage and and not have an ohms setting to read continuity. You can purchase cheap meters at Home Depot and Lowe’s

Reply to Shunted? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net