Discuss Shut off 3 phase supply in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Guest 004

I need a solution for a problem I have, just cant seem to think at the moment.

I need to shut off a 3 phase supply when a supply to one phase has failed? Now I am thinking 4 pole contactor, but I am not sure of how to monitor the 3 individual phases on 1 control circuit? 3 control circuits perhaps?

use 3 single pole contactors with the 3 phases operating a (A1&A2) coil each, with the L1&L2 contacts in each wired in series to control the coil in a 4 pole contactor. Does that make sense?

^ thanks DS

but I do think my OP has been awerserd by post no. 8

thanks guys

Can we let this run for a couple of of days, before a mod closes it down (happy with that), but pretty sure I have a good answer.

Thanks again hawk

Essentially, in its simplest form my drawing is what a phase faliure relay does :)

You don't neccessarily need a phase faliure relay so I'd go with whichever option is cheapest.

From the OP i'm still not sure what he's trying to do. If all he wants to do is shut down a 3 phase supply when losing a phase, say due to a fault down stream, and the supply has fuse over current protective devices, then all that's required is to replace the fuses with a multi phase MCB/MCCB. Anyway if he's happy that he's found a solution in the way of a phase failure relay, all's good!! lol!!

One of the reasons i don't like fuse protection for poly phase motors, unless those fuses are of the striker release type, where when any fuse ruptures, is releases a striker to disconnect all the phases.

^ ok E54 Here is is the set up.

My client has an combined undervoltage transient device, so in in effect when the supply voltgae goes +- 10%, on any given phase that phase will shut down, and then switch an invertor for required cicuirts.
One of the circuits that is not required under such said conditions is a 3 phase ceiling void fan, which in effect runs all the time. My client was worried that with the other 2 phases still trying to turn the motor, this would genereate heat, and possibly cause a fire, or burn out the motor. Why would a muti phase MCB (which is already installed) trip? So this is why IMO that a phase failure relay would work really well.

If you have an easier suggestions I will gladly read them.

Thanks

^ ok E54 Here is is the set up.

My client has an combined undervoltage transient device, so in in effect when the supply voltgae goes +- 10%, on any given phase that phase will shut down, and then switch an invertor for required cicuirts.
One of the circuits that is not required under such said conditions is a 3 phase ceiling void fan, which in effect runs all the time. My client was worried that with the other 2 phases still trying to turn the motor, this would genereate heat, and possibly cause a fire, or burn out the motor. Why would a muti phase MCB (which is already installed) trip? So this is why IMO that a phase failure relay would work really well.

If you have an easier suggestions I will gladly read them.

Thanks

See what a difference it makes, when you give the relavant details!! Looking at things in the dark or with only half the story on a forum can be confusing to say the least!!

We didn't know what you were trying to protect against, i was assuming you lost a fuse, from a downstream fault when you were talking about losing a phase.

To be honest, i can't see the point of the UTD only dropping out the offending phase, usually they will drop out all the phases and switch in a 3 phase inverter/stand-by generator or the like, especially where you have a mixture of single and 3 phase equipment connected after the UTD.

Anyway you have found a solution that suits your needs, so all's well that ends well as they say. ...lol!!

From the OP i'm still not sure what he's trying to do. If all he wants to do is shut down a 3 phase supply when losing a phase, say due to a fault down stream, and the supply has fuse over current protective devices, then all that's required is to replace the fuses with a multi phase MCB/MCCB. Anyway if he's happy that he's found a solution in the way of a phase failure relay, all's good!! lol!!

One of the reasons i don't like fuse protection for poly phase motors, unless those fuses are of the striker release type, where when any fuse ruptures, is releases a striker to disconnect all the phases.

The motor O/L will protect against single phasing. So where’s the problem with fuses for motor protection?

You would think so, If set correctly. ...But seen far too many starter O/L modules fail to protect in a timely manner. It's just become a preference for me now to use poly phase MCB's/MCCB's for motor supplies now.

If either the fuses blow or MCB trips there’s an underlying fault.
Over the years I’ve had very few O/L units fail in relation to the number installed.
When it comes to the old dashpot relays then I would agree. I can’t remember the last time I installed one of them!

Reply to Shut off 3 phase supply in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net