Discuss Sick of these HANDYMEN 2nd one in a week in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Markyd

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
2nd one in the space of a week20200721_175438.jpg
[automerge]1595383038[/automerge]
Went to see a job where the lady said her new led lamps were flickering, When i got there she told me a local handyman who said he was qualified to do electrics had done some work fitting 3 double sockets and changed the lamps in the downlights, when the lights started playing up he told her the only thing he could think of was that she had bought some dodgy lamps and she needed to get some other ones which she did and he then fitted them ones,still flickering...he said he had to go to another job and would be back in two days to sort the prob, she paid him cash and he left, Guess what..not answering his phone, she said he tried everything , even taking the switch off and re wireing it and they still played up....Yep you guessed it Dimmer switch with original module not fit for led lamps,went to the van got a module changed it over problem solved......So she asked me to check the double sockets he had done in the bedroom,Surface mounted boxes, he said the walls were too bad to chase boxes in, they wasnt even fitted level....YEP..spur off a spur off a spur,Went and checked the consumer unit Wylex with rewireable fuses, NO RCD.Asked her for the minor works cert he should have done knowing there wasnt one and i was right. He charged her £240 for that crap..NOW SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE SO THESE TW*TS GET PROSECUTED FOR DANGEROUS WORK ...Going to contact Trading standards about both of these scumbags, but i know its a waste of time, Makes you wonder why you work so hard to do a good,safe job when these waste of oxygen rip off cowboys are about....By the way the first fella whose message i posted... i done a bit of digging and know he has recently done two board changes and electric underfloor heating...NO PAPERWORK for work done RANT OVER

Last edited:
2nd one in the space of a weekView attachment 59617
[automerge]1595383038[/automerge]
Went to see a job where the lady said her new led lamps were flickering, When i got there she told me a local handyman who said he was qualified to do electrics had done some work fitting 3 double sockets and changed the lamps in the downlights, when the lights started playing up he told her the only thing he could think of was that she had bought some dodgy lamps and she needed to get some other ones which she did and he then fitted them ones,still flickering...he said he had to go to another job and would be back in two days to sort the prob, she paid him cash and he left, Guess what..not answering his phone, she said he tried everything , even taking the switch off and re wireing it and they still played up....Yep you guessed it Dimmer switch with original module not fit for led lamps,went to the van got a module changed it over problem solved......So she asked me to check the double sockets he had done in the bedroom,Surface mounted boxes, he said the walls were too bad to chase boxes in, they wasnt even fitted level....YEP..spur off a spur off a spur,Went and checked the consumer unit Wylex with rewireable fuses, NO RCD.Asked her for the minor works cert he should have done knowing there wasnt one and i was right. He charged her £240 for that crap..NOW SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE SO THESE TW*TS GET PROSECUTED FOR DANGEROUS WORK ...Going to contact Trading standards about both of these scumbags, but i know its a waste of time, Makes you wonder why you work so hard to do a good,safe job when these waste of oxygen rip off cowboys are about....By the way the first fella whose message i posted... i done a bit of digging and know he has recently done two board changes and electric underfloor heating...NO PAPERWORK for work done RANT OVER
Good luck with that Mate

I went to one last week, new build, the "handyman" had installed a hall socket on the other side of the wall from the bathroom electric towel rail, using that supply.

Unfortunately he didn't realise the dedicated towel rail circuit for the apartment was on a timer in the CU cupboard - so you can only use the socket when the towel rails are on!

Reply to Sick of these HANDYMEN 2nd one in a week in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net