Discuss Sign off private work in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sambuca2907

Hi all - I have heard an understanding - that to be able to sign off private work you need minimum:

2330 Level 2
2382 17th Exam
Part P Exam

I've heard that at the moment you don't NEED 2392 or 2391 to join some electrical bodies? Is this true??

Can anyone confirm exactly what qualifications you need to be able to fill out the testing "form 4" and sign off electrical work? Am confused by all this!

Thanks

how much is it to do the part p scheme? i'm not qualified yet but would like to be able to sign my own work off that i may do for friends and family... any way this can be done for free? :D (probably not, but worth a try lol)

Nope. Cant be done for free as far as I know. You normally just need minimum 17th to join a competant persons scheme and obviously be competant, which normally means displaying this at an assessment with the body you chose to join..Annual fee normally about ÂŁ450. bodys include elecsa, napit, niceic.

Alternatively inform your labc before you start a notifiable job, they'll want to look at first fix, 2nd fix and test results etc and charge you for the pleasure..

hope this helps

Hi All
Can anybody tell me what is needed to join a scheme only so many different ideas from people,
I have a full appreticeship gone back and done 17th and 2392 test and inspect do I still need to do Part P
cheers Harvey

Ok just read your threadand i am confused.
Got a scotvec RET part 1,2 (Long time ago up here in Gods Country City and guilds equivelent.)
2182-01 17th
2391-01 inspection & testing
working on 2391-02 (cant swear in forums but want to:mad:)

whats the 2392??

Ok just read your threadand i am confused.
Got a scotvec RET part 1,2 (Long time ago up here in Gods Country City and guilds equivelent.)
2182-01 17th
2391-01 inspection & testing
working on 2391-02 (cant swear in forums but want to:mad:)

whats the 2392??

Pretty sure the 2392 is a scaled down - easier to obtain version of the 2391. But is focused more on new builds... as I think the 2391 is the complete package that does fault finding also... am I right?

Yep.

The 2392 is a watered down version of the 2391 which enables you yo test your own work but not someone elses i.e periodics.

Cheers

Yep fundimental principals of test/inspection its a new qual designed for people who want to test/insp work upto 100a more suited to domestic installers also if you dont have much test/inspect exp then this is a good stepping stone before the 2391-10.
Regards
Kung.

Hi all - I have heard an understanding - that to be able to sign off private work you need minimum:

2330 Level 2
2382 17th Exam
Part P Exam

I've heard that at the moment you don't NEED 2392 or 2391 to join some electrical bodies? Is this true??

Can anyone confirm exactly what qualifications you need to be able to fill out the testing "form 4" and sign off electrical work? Am confused by all this!

Thanks

Hi
There is two ways you can do this one is sign up with part p or get someone who has got part p to sign off two jobs you have done, 17th edition is not needed with part p ECA as its not a legal requirement and also you don't need to take part p exam.

If you are still learning then part p eca is your best move.

Thanks

Mark

Hi
There is two ways you can do this one is sign up with part p or get someone who has got part p to sign off two jobs you have done, 17th edition is not needed with part p ECA as its not a legal requirement and also you don't need to take part p exam.

Thanks

Mark

I dont think you will find a registered electrician willing to sign off someone elses work unless he has been there every step of the way, as Part P does not permit this.

17th Edition is not a legal requirement but Part P is.

You wont get one without the other.

I dont think you will find a registered electrician willing to sign off someone elses work unless he has been there every step of the way, as Part P does not permit this.

17th Edition is not a legal requirement but Part P is.

You wont get one without the other.

If you speak with Part P ECA you do not need to take the Part P exam, they will check two jobs one big one small and as long as you pass there is no need to sit Part P. You could issue a (DCM4) FORM to the client. If i am correct Part P is building regs and testing is about competence any work carried out must be check.

Thanks

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
If you speak with Part P ECA you do not need to take the Part P exam, they will check two jobs one big one small and as long as you pass there is no need to sit Part P. You could issue a (DCM4) FORM to the client. If i am correct Part P is building regs and testing is about competence any work carried out must be check.

Thanks

Mark
there is no part p exam, just a registration if you are a competent person;)

It is a sorry state of affairs when the industry is being confused by this part p building regs( applicable to electrical installation in dwellings )and the confusion amongst people when they are assuming or being told it has any relation to becoming an electrician
You can become a fully qualified electrician with recognised industry qualifications and never come into contact with the world of part p
Part p is not an electrical qualification

If you are qualified as an electrician and decide to join a scheme it will then permit you to self certify your own installation work in dwellings
It is not permitted to sign off others work if you did not install the work
You may be permitted to test the installation at 1st and then 2nd fix and sign the test results section of their own installation certificate
You would then still not be permitted to notify the work,which is what part p is about in the first place

And to top it all we are the only trade that is checked once a year and have to pay for the privilege. still not sure should I take Part P or not it all seems a bit of a con to me

It is a sorry state of affairs when the industry is being confused by this part p building regs( applicable to electrical installation in dwellings )and the confusion amongst people when they are assuming or being told it has any relation to becoming an electrician
You can become a fully qualified electrician with recognised industry qualifications and never come into contact with the world of part p
Part p is not an electrical qualification

If you are qualified as an electrician and decide to join a scheme it will then permit you to self certify your own installation work in dwellings
It is not permitted to sign off others work if you did not install the work
You may be permitted to test the installation at 1st and then 2nd fix and sign the test results section of their own installation certificate
You would then still not be permitted to notify the work,which is what part p is about in the first place

Hi
If you cannot sign off the work your self you can ask someone else to do this for you only if you employ this person within your company, no one has to be Part P registered they can work via the N.I.C.E.I.C GREEN FORM which means you are working towards becoming N.I.C Registered, if the client is not happy with the work you have carried out then the client has the right to ask the N.I.C.E.I.C to inspect your work but the client will be charged for this.

When you have a kitchen fitter that can sign off work then all i can say that our field is in a mess and its all about money for a dreadful Government , YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND HOW ELECTRICITY WORKS BEFORE YOU SHOULD EVER BE ALLOWED TO INSTALL.

How many accidents per year on a building site today 72 deaths per year use to be 2 deaths why? How many accidents in the house with deaths, last count was 10 why? not by lose cables but damaged cables how many people today still don't use earths, an earth can save your life.

I don't agree with other trades who have never been to college being allowed to sign of work it is down to them that all theses new laws were passed through Government because of the death of a MP'S DAUGHTER. The N.I.C will make you take your 17th edition within a year of joining there scheme.

Thanks

Mark

Reply to Sign off private work in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net