Discuss Sign off private work in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

And to top it all we are the only trade that is checked once a year and have to pay for the privilege. still not sure should I take Part P or not it all seems a bit of a con to me
hi harvey,
you are right there it is a big con but something you need to be part of to enable you to work in domestic dewllings unhindered ;)
the biggest con though is paying your labc to send out one of their people who isnt an electrician and is not even sure what you have done and charging ÂŁ100 + for the privilege :eek:

Mark,

Im sure you know, but nearly ALL domestic installation work must be notified to the LABC which can either be done direct, pay a large fee, and they will test etc, or you can belong to a scheme.

It has nothing to do with the NICEIC, its the government and Part P which must be complied with.

NONE of the schemes allow a registered person to sign off an un-registered persons work. Again, its not the scheme providers, its the government.

Part P was a long time coming, even before the accident with the MP's daughter. This just forced it through quicker, hence the mess it is in now.

Thanks for the reply, the laugh is the general public don't know about signing off your work and giving them a copy so all that does in some cases is make it worse. we as electricians have to charge the going rate and in a lot of cases the customer thinks it's expensive so they say well I will leave that and then the next thing you know the old man or next door neighbour
has done the work.

Harvey

Thanks for the reply, the laugh is the general public don't know about signing off your work and giving them a copy so all that does in some cases is make it worse. we as electricians have to charge the going rate and in a lot of cases the customer thinks it's expensive so they say well I will leave that and then the next thing you know the old man or next door neighbour
has done the work.

Harvey

Im afraid thats just how it is and there is not a lot we can do about it, as at the end of the day, its our name on the cert.

It is a sorry state of affairs when the industry is being confused by this part p building regs( applicable to electrical installation in dwellings )and the confusion amongst people when they are assuming or being told it has any relation to becoming an electrician
You can become a fully qualified electrician with recognised industry qualifications and never come into contact with the world of part p
Part p is not an electrical qualification

If you are qualified as an electrician and decide to join a scheme it will then permit you to self certify your own installation work in dwellings
It is not permitted to sign off others work if you did not install the work
You may be permitted to test the installation at 1st and then 2nd fix and sign the test results section of their own installation certificate
You would then still not be permitted to notify the work,which is what part p is about in the first place

Even more confusing in Scotland. I hadn't heard of Part P until I did some work in England a few years ago. We have different building regs. Easier to stick to the IEE wiring regs for me.

I also think if someone is unsure then the C and G 2392 is the way to go. If you are not used to testing the 2391 is very hard going and the fail rate seems to back up the idea that it wasn't just me.

Reply to Sign off private work in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net