Discuss signin off work in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

G_FUNK

hi this is my 1st post in quite some time. im a qualified electrican i have a nvq level3 in electrotechnical installion c&g 2330 level 2 and 3 and the c&g 2382 17th. im not signed up with napit or the niceic yet. im looking at setting up self empolyed and i would like to know how to sign off work. i have spoke to the local council and they have said any think that is notifiable must be notified. but as far a electrical certs go im in the dark. i have spoke to an electrician who is set up with the niceic already and he told me that i could just buy a pack of electrical insatllation certs and test and inspect and fill them out. and so long as it all to the 17th edition and notified to the council where needed, that this would be enough untill i join niceic, napit etc etc. could any one confirm this as correct?

cheers martin​

it's correct. would seriosly consider napit or elecsa, as LABC fees are scandalous. what you pay the scheme would soon be saved in not paying LABC.

hi this is my 1st post in quite some time. im a qualified electrican i have a nvq level3 in electrotechnical installion c&g 2330 level 2 and 3 and the c&g 2382 17th. im not signed up with napit or the niceic yet. im looking at setting up self empolyed and i would like to know how to sign off work. i have spoke to the local council and they have said any think that is notifiable must be notified. but as far a electrical certs go im in the dark. i have spoke to an electrician who is set up with the niceic already and he told me that i could just buy a pack of electrical insatllation certs and test and inspect and fill them out. and so long as it all to the 17th edition and notified to the council where needed, that this would be enough untill i join niceic, napit etc etc. could any one confirm this as correct?

cheers martin​

Have you done any inspection and testing before? If not I suggest you let one of the governing bodies assess you before you go solo. Bypass the LABC and go with a scheme.

Have you done any inspection and testing before? If not I suggest you let one of the governing bodies assess you before you go solo. Bypass the LABC and go with a scheme.

The Governing Bodies will always require that you have atleast a couple of jobs to show that you have done before you can become a member. Obviously that's a bit difficult as the vast majority of work comes under Part P of Building Regs so will need signing off by the LABC first to give you the work to show the NIC/NAPIT/ELECSA inspector first. When i first went self employed i was lucky enough to have a couple of good sized jobs where the LABC fee could be hidden fairly easily within the overall price. I had to contact the LABC to come see the first fix and then a second visit for the second fix. I then completed the EIC myself which the LABC needed to see before signing anything off. Not cheap and a bit of a pain but that's sometimes what it takes to get on a self notification scheme.

with napit and elecsa, you can probably have the assessment and once passed, they will notify

thanks for the feed back my first job will be signed off by building control today i have the eic with me now. in ragardes to part p once im with niceic or napit etc i wont need to keep getting in touch with building control for notifibly work under part p.

also is the a list of notified work i can print of so i know what is and isnt notified.

thanks

martin

contact napit and ask for an application pack. with it is a list of what is and isn't notifiable. once you have joind a scheme, you notify the scheme provider of notifiable jobs at a cost of a couple of quid. and they notify LABC.

Last edited:
if i sign of my own work before joining napit or niceic, just by filling in a minor works or eic and inform the local authority for part p is this classed as certified? because i writing a quote up for a rewire and i dont want to sign or say any think that is miss leading in the written quote.

if you are joining one of the schemes, you can use the rewire as an assessment job. you can notify LABC and pay their exhorbitant fee, or notify through your scheme provider once you have joined. assuming you pass the assessment , that is.

my name is one the list for the next 2391 at my local college. im not bad at testing it was pounded in to me as a apprentice and i pretty much got it after about 7 or 8 months. is more the setting up on my own that im trying to get my head round. as im working and want to put as much money away as poss and build up a data base of customers at get me name about before i take the risk.

its good to do that but i think you should just throw your self in the deep end and hope for the best to happen, since you are qualified in a good trade you will not struggle like someone setting up a corner shop, you will always find some work. it will be a mixture big and small and sometimes no work at all or you might spend a full day just quoting.

good luck.

Hi there, I am in a similar position and am thinking about joining napit or on eof the others. What do the LABC charge for inspecting your work?

bloody fortune mate anything from £80 to £300

Hi there, I am in a similar position and am thinking about joining napit or on eof the others. What do the LABC charge for inspecting your work?

London Borough of Richmond = £247.42 :mad: Not quite sure why the odd 42p :confused:

No doubt with budget squeezes aplenty, councils are going to be looking to increase income anywhere and everywhere.

if you are joining one of the schemes, you can use the rewire as an assessment job. you can notify LABC and pay their exhorbitant fee, or notify through your scheme provider once you have joined. assuming you pass the assessment , that is.

Is this something you know from experience, or are you just assuming doing it that way would be allowable :confused:

It was my understanding that you need to notify before beginning work, and that the fee is payable on inspection.

Would one of the schemes let you use a piece of work that had not been inspected as part of the assessment process? It would be great if you could but it almost sounds too good to be true.
Once you have notified the LABC, are you entering into a contract for them to come and inspect, or could you simply self certify once, or if, your assessment is successful :confused:

Cheers

Reply to signin off work in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net