Discuss signing off own work in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

Reid

Hey there, when can you sign off your own work and what is required to do so.

Basically we all do the odd on the side jobs, maybe as big as a shed or just moving a socket, but when can you actually sign that work off and do you need like niceic or equivilent? this i do not understand.

cheers guys in advance.

Work is Part P notifiable when carried out in an area of increased shock risk i.e. bathroom, kitchen, outside area etc. If your only wiring a socket in a living room for example you should certify said work but dont need to enter a notification. Wiring a shed as in your example would though be Part P notifiable, because it would be hard to hide the LABC fee of around £90 in a quote for such a small job it would pay you to become a member of a regulatory body.
NAPIT would probably be more suitable for you given the circumstances explained, its a bit cheaper and the registration process is 'in my opinion' less stringent but just as valid as that of the NICEIC, in most instances the NAPIT inspector ask's to see you testing an installation and gives you a good grilling on the regs to make sure you know what you are doing and talking about, it saves you having to complete works 'illegaly' in order to have something to test and inspect for the NIC EIC.

Hope this helps .

Work is Part P notifiable when carried out in an area of increased shock risk i.e. bathroom, kitchen, outside area etc. If your only wiring a socket in a living room for example you should certify said work but dont need to enter a notification. Wiring a shed as in your example would though be Part P notifiable, because it would be hard to hide the LABC fee of around £90 in a quote for such a small job it would pay you to become a member of a regulatory body.
NAPIT would probably be more suitable for you given the circumstances explained, its a bit cheaper and the registration process is 'in my opinion' less stringent but just as valid as that of the NICEIC, in most instances the NAPIT inspector ask's to see you testing an installation and gives you a good grilling on the regs to make sure you know what you are doing and talking about, it saves you having to complete works 'illegaly' in order to have something to test and inspect for the NIC EIC.

Hope this helps .

Thats going to give the punters confidence in Napit contractors then.;)

What exactly do you mean by 'signing off your own work'?
Whenever you do work, you should issue a Certificate (EIC/MWC) to the person ordering the work, indicating that your work complies with BS7671.
Where Building Regulations are concerned, you would need to be registered with a Part P Self Certification Scheme in order for you to issue a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate.
If you are not registered, then the householder would have to notify the Local Authority Building Control, prior to the work commencing, and Building Control would typically have to inspect the work before they issued a Compliance Certificate.
Not all work requires Building Regulations compliance.

Reply to signing off own work in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock