Discuss Signing off work... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jumpinjackjones

As I've gone to the trouble of registering, I might as well ask this one as well!

Ive a friend who's a 'proper' electrician (Not like me.... I fanny about with control panels) and he's considering going it alone...

He is capable of carrying out all of the testing procedures but as his boss man takes care of the paperwork, is unsure as to what to do should he take on his own jobs.

What would one have to do in order to complete works on a domestic/industrial installation? He does NOT have 2391/4/5 and there are absolutely no courses available at any colleges whatsoever- just those 'learn how to be an electrician' places (Which seem dodgy to me- I don't know why)

Your friend would need to have some sort of qualification to carry out inspection & testing of his installations, and to issue certificates. What qualifications does he have?

Re domestic work, to make it financially viable, in England & Wales, he would almost certainly have to join one of the government approved schemes for Part P notification.

There are plenty of training establishments just waiting to take your money.

You can do C&G courses easily at loads of places, just get yourself on a night school course.

Midwest- Not sure what quals he has but I do know he doesn't have any inspection/testing ones, although he's fully time served and with a gold jib card- With regards 2394/5, is this a legal necessity or good practise?

My question, I suppose, was more what is the minimum legal (as opposed to somebodies opinion) requirement to sign off your own work if you are a competent person.

I think what sparksburnout failed to notice in my opening post is that there are absolutely no colleges that do 2394/5 in the area and none of the non-college places do them of an evening (And they charge almost double what the colleges charge if they were to hold the course. Shrewsbury college advertises the course on their website for around £600 if memory serves, whereas a place in an industrial unit charge £1100 ish).

I take your point, I thought you were in Staffs to be honest. However, there is one in Nottingham that do 2394/5 on an evening basis, and I believe there is one in Birmingham. Depends how much you want it I suppose, I did mine at night school and some of the guys were travelling 100+ miles and even stopping over. not sure if it's allowed to "advertise" but PM me if you need the info for the Nottingham one, they are very good.

Whilst some might disagree, here is some guidance from the NIC which might make things slightly clearer, albeit it's for joining their scheme;

NICEIC | Help and advice from leading industry experts - https://www.niceic.com/contractor/essentials/help-and-advice/niceic-and-assessment/what-is-the-role-of-the-qualified-supervisor

NICEIC | Help and advice from leading industry experts - https://www.niceic.com/contractor/essentials/help-and-advice/niceic-and-assessment/what-qualifications-does-the-qualified-supervisor

The model forms in BS 7671 for certification etc require signatories. BS 7671 defines a 'Skilled person (electrically). I think your friend needs to obtain some instruction and qualification in inspecting & testing. He might have to travel, put himself out a bit, and will cost some money. Have a read of Chapter 63 BS7671. :)

Whilst some might disagree, here is some guidance from the NIC which might make things slightly clearer, albeit it's for joining their scheme;

NICEIC | Help and advice from leading industry experts - https://www.niceic.com/contractor/essentials/help-and-advice/niceic-and-assessment/what-is-the-role-of-the-qualified-supervisor

NICEIC | Help and advice from leading industry experts - https://www.niceic.com/contractor/essentials/help-and-advice/niceic-and-assessment/what-qualifications-does-the-qualified-supervisor

The model forms in BS 7671 for certification etc require signatories. BS 7671 defines a 'Skilled person (electrically). I think your friend needs to obtain some instruction and qualification in inspecting & testing. He might have to travel, put himself out a bit, and will cost some money. Have a read of Chapter 63 BS7671. :)
I agree. If you are going to self-certify your own work I don't see how you can do it without I&T qualifications/skills/experience (IE a competent person). I am not sure that Stroma don't require them now for everything not just EICR's.

If my information is correct,for quite a number of years the Niceic dropped their requirement for the Qualifying supervisor to hold the C+G 2391 to an acceptance of that person being able to demonstrate competence in testing
That non 2391 supervisor would now look after firms with perhaps hundreds of employees

You have completed an apprenticeship,the course itself should contain sufficient training to provide the ability to test and inspect your work competently,otherwise whats the point of training a person who cannot knowingly produce safe work

These testing quals should not be a requisite for joining any scam where a recognised apprenticeship has been completed,I have the 2391,however,I and most people like me were trained and able to test our own work for many years before these specific qualifications were initially dreamed up by the Niceic

Your quite right Des with regard to apprenticeship 'should contain sufficient training to provide the ability to test and inspect your work competently'. It would be up to the 'electrician' to make that judgement call, bearing in mind at the moment 'his boss man takes care of the paperwork', which would need to be undertaken by the 'electrician' should he become a sole trader.

I myself went and did a C&G 2392-10 Inspection & Testing Course, after returning to the industry after quite some time. I could of just blagged it, but found the course most useful, and gave me some skills I seemed to have forgotten. Still learning now.

Im pretty sure the OPs friend will need a qualification in Initial verification inspection and testing and the 17th wiring regs certification to sign off his work on domestic premises. If he wants to work on industrial and commercial premises as well and sign off work im sure he will have to apply for the approved contractors scheme which will have different minimum qualification criteria as this will differ from the domestic installer scheme.

Reply to Signing off work... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock