Discuss Signing off works in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MATTMGM

HI GUYS

LOOKING FOR SOME GUIDANCE PLEASE AS IT SEEMS TO BE A BIT OF A GREY AREA.

I AM AN ELECTRICIAN AND HAVE BEEN FOR 20 YEARS (COMPETENT).

IVE RECENTLY SET UP BUSINESS ON MY OWN AND HAVE BEEN ASKED TO REWIRE A DOMESTIC PROPERTY THAT IS BEING RENOVATED.

SO MY QUESTION IS 'DO I NEED TO BE REGISTERED WITH A BODY SUCH AS THE NICEIC OR CAN I DO THE INSTALLATION + TEST MYSELF AND REGISTER IT WITH BUILDING CONTROL MYSELF????'

IF SO DO WE KNOW OF THE COST IMPLICATIONS INVOLVED IN THIS?? AND ANY CONTACT TELEPHONE NUMBER??

YOUR HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.:smiley2::smiley2::smiley2:

Depending on your local building control, you can do it two ways - 1 is to register with a scheme, such as NICEIC or Napit etc.

2 is to notify building control that you will be starting the electrical works, and they will send an inspector round after first fix and then you test it at end of second fix.

Or you can just crack on, do the work as required and issue an EIC at the end of the job - this is what I often do as our BC seems to be totally useless and not understand what is needed!

Appreciate your reply so quick.

1)do you issue the eic to the customer and also phone building control to register the job?

2)do you know the cost implications involved in this?

Thanks again

If you are going to do this without being registered (nothing wrong in that), then it would be the responsibility of the home owner to inform Local Building Control (LBC). Some LBC may be satisfied with your qualifications, and be satisfied with your competency & EIC.

If not, after informing them (they may wish to inspect your work as it progresses), they will have the work tested and inspected. I have never been in this position, so not sure if the LBC, would carry out this out, but that's a lift from my LBC web site on the issue. The cost of LBC inspection varies, mine is £440 + vat.

Here is an extract from my local council. They charge £240.00 incl VAT. A cheap council by the look of it!

Electrical Work

Where you choose not to use an electrician who belongs to an approved self-certification scheme, we will carryout inspections of the new electrical work and test it once it has been completed. We will employ qualifiedelectricians for this and there is an additional fee to cover costs. (See Table 2 - Class 9).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

just spoke to tamworth borough councils building inspector and he told me that they will want to pay a visit at first fix stage, see my certificates (qualifications), then i need to send them a eic on completion for the grand total of £84 inc vat..................which i thought was more than reasonable.

For information :- In Stoke there is a two tier system for the LBC, if you have the Quals. it's £82 (copy emailed to LBC, no site visits required) and £345 (ish) for no qualifications and site visits (and testing) are required by a contracted electrician at various stages.

For information :- In Stoke there is a two tier system for the LBC, if you have the Quals. it's £82 (copy emailed to LBC, no site visits required) and £345 (ish) for no qualifications and site visits (and testing) are required by a contracted electrician at various stages.

I think quite a few LABCs do something similar now from what I've read here and other forums.
I'm not keen on the qualifications route. Not sure how that shows competence.

Hi

just spoke to tamworth borough councils building inspector and he told me that they will want to pay a visit at first fix stage, see my certificates (qualifications), then i need to send them a eic on completion for the grand total of £84 inc vat..................which i thought was more than reasonable.

Whilst that appears quite reasonable, once you have paid for 4 jobs in 1 year, you will have paid more than my Stroma Membership (£288.00)

Whilst that appears quite reasonable, once you have paid for 4 jobs in 1 year, you will have paid more than my Stroma Membership (£288.00)

Quite agree with that.
Also, Tamworth might only charge £84.00, but what about another borough or council?
Then there's the extra paperwork.

just pretend you're polish or lithuanian. notification is not in their vocabulary.

Hi

reasonable?

£84 for someone to come along and tell you what you have done is OK.

Cheap, compared to all the other building control fees.

or a rip off, whats it like having to have your work assesed after having spent several years at college studying and so on. Only to be told by some jobsworth that you cant actually do certain things eith their permission. Come in we are the laughing stock of the building trade because of this farce.

How are the 2 in anyway linked? There have been millions of electrical installations done before part P that havent ever caused a problem.

Now having foundations dug and supports to existing structures are completly different in that the council will have a stryctural engineer on hand to advise and pass everything as it is installed.

Do they send round a electrical engineer to ensure that the cable calcs are correct, that every inch of cable is installed correctly, check that all the test results are actully acurate. Or do they send round someone once to have abrief look and then accept the certs at the end without batting a eyelid?

strange ting is where building work, subject to BC is carried out, BC will accept my cert/s for the electrical work at no charge, but if i want to fit a shower, they want to raise a building notice at a cost of £300. bloody crazy.

Reply to Signing off works in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net