Discuss Simple plug wiring question, help needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

membergd

Hi, very simple question for anyone willing to help...

I have a LED TV which uses 53W according to instructions. It was bought from new with a figure 8 (C7?) plug that has a 10A fuse in it. I have recently hung the TV on the wall and put the cables in conduit, but the power cable is now not long enough. I can buy a new one but they all come with 3A fuses. Couple of questions:

As the TV is only 53W, why does it need a 10A fuse?
Will there be any problem using a 3A fuse, or should I swap the 3A fuse with the 10A one from original plug - would swapping the fuses be a problem at all? I assume the cable is the same, and only the fuse varies, but wanted to check before I damage anything.

Thanks in advance of any replies.

What do the instructions say in regards to the size of the fuse. I myself have opinions o this but, would always say follow manufacturers instructions for this, the cable MIGHT be alright but again you should use the supplied cable unless you seek advice which says you can use the one already in place.

Might be worth phoning a local sparks on Monday to get the to come and have a look

I know this sounds long winded and also at a expense but without knowing cable you propose to use it would be impossible to give a definitive answer.

Thanks for replies guys.

Not read the instructions! :nonod:

It is not a moulded wire into the TV (if that's what you mean), it plugs into the TV with a figure 8 or C7 fitting.

I assume it needs a 10A fuse as that's what it came from the factory with. I'm not suggesting I cut any cables, I would just replace like for like C7 power connection into the TV but with a longer cable. The plug it came with is not sealed and I can remove the fuse. I was thinking of just removing this fuse and putting it into the longer cable I may buy...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry my first reply was a little long winded. As long as the cable is capable of carrying the 10amps safely then yes it should be OK to purcahse a longer flex.

Thanks again Dillb - so I do need to check the new cable is rated correctly? I thought any cable with the same plugs at either end would have the same thickness core? I'll have to check with whomever I buy it from that it is rated high enough if that's the case. Thanks again.

Bear in mind that the fuse is there to protect the cable - not the tv.

So I would not put a 10A in a plug and lead which comes with a 3A.

However, 3A is plenty for a 53W tv (¼A).

It if comes fitted with a 10 amp fuse in the plug then yes it will be perfectly fine to use. it will more than likely have either a 3 or 13 amp fuse fitted so buy a 13 amp one and change the fuse for the 10 amp you have.

It if comes fitted with a 10 amp fuse in the plug then yes it will be perfectly fine to use. it will more than likely have either a 3 or 13 amp fuse fitted so buy a 13 amp one and change the fuse for the 10 amp you have.

I'll do that, thank you.

Just take the cable into your local comet/hughes/currys and say "I want one of these but x metres long". They will sell you one and you connect it to the TV. Simple :)

Just take the cable into your local comet/hughes/currys and say "I want one of these but x metres long". They will sell you one and you connect it to the TV. Simple :)

Went to Currys (where I bought the TV), but when I asked they had no clue. I went and found the leads they did have in stock, and the only one was 2m long (not long enough) and 3 times the price of what was available online

Went to Currys (where I bought the TV), but when I asked they had no clue. I went and found the leads they did have in stock, and the only one was 2m long (not long enough) and 3 times the price of what was available online

Post a photo of the cable's connector to the TV and I bet we can find a 3M or longer one online for you :)

In answer to your original q - If you install a new lead but with a 3A fuse rather than the 10A supplied, then the worst that will happen is that you blow the fuse. That said, 53w LED TV is gonna draw way less than that anyway.

I think you will find that the standard length is 2M and you will not be able to buy a longer one. If you don't wish to make a joint. You may be able to get a socket end from RS, Farnell or CPC and make your own. Is it possible to fit a socket or spur behind the television and connect your lead into it.

Reply to Simple plug wiring question, help needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net