Discuss Simplest Way to Add Panel to Detached Condo Garage? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello All,

Let be begin by making it clear that I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL ELECTRICIAN! I will be hiring one (I have one scheduled to come out to take a look, but it won't be until 10 days from now). I am making this post to get input from professional electricians as to whether this idea I have to run a 100A panel to my detached garage is plausible at all. I want to have a preliminary "in-person chat" with my HOA president and at least have a little bit of confidence when I explain to him what I would like to do. My goal here is to make as few changes to my condo's service panel as I can. My HOA will be involved, as well as the power company (Duke Energy), as well as the licensed electrician I plan to hire. I have attached a PDF of a slideshow I made today. If any of you professionals could take a look at my slideshow and tell me if my initial ideas on what to do are plausible or not, I'd really appreciate it. End goal here is to be able to properly power my CNC plasma cutter, TIG welder, and Air compressor off of 240V in my detached garage. I really just want a 100A panel in my garage to run two 240V circuits and two 120V circuits. If you all think my idea won't work, could you make suggestions I could speak with my electrician about? I appreciate y'all's wealth of knowledge. Cheers!

Attachments

• Adding Electric to My Detached Condo Garage.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 3
Hello All,

Let be begin by making it clear that I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL ELECTRICIAN! I will be hiring one (I have one scheduled to come out to take a look, but it won't be until 10 days from now). I am making this post to get input from professional electricians as to whether this idea I have to run a 100A panel to my detached garage is plausible at all. I want to have a preliminary "in-person chat" with my HOA president and at least have a little bit of confidence when I explain to him what I would like to do. My goal here is to make as few changes to my condo's service panel as I can. My HOA will be involved, as well as the power company (Duke Energy), as well as the licensed electrician I plan to hire. I have attached a PDF of a slideshow I made today. If any of you professionals could take a look at my slideshow and tell me if my initial ideas on what to do are plausible or not, I'd really appreciate it. End goal here is to be able to properly power my CNC plasma cutter, TIG welder, and Air compressor off of 240V in my detached garage. I really just want a 100A panel in my garage to run two 240V circuits and two 120V circuits. If you all think my idea won't work, could you make suggestions I could speak with my electrician about? I appreciate y'all's wealth of knowledge. Cheers!
Probably the best thing you can do is add a 200 amp panel beside your meter. You have to have a disconnect for the fire department can kill the power. All you circuits want, you can get out of your new panel. When you do your garage just make sure you install a GFCI breaker. I don’t understand why you would want another panel in your condo, which you should already have one. A 40 amp double pole breaker would carry the loads you mentioned. Duke Energy or the inspector is not going to let you double tap off the bottom of the meter. You will also have to add another ground rod. Good luck with your project

Reply to Simplest Way to Add Panel to Detached Condo Garage? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net